First pics of the Olympus 7-14mm 2.8 and 300mm f/4!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Well count me out for the 300mm...that looks HUGE !

...and judging by this one photo, the ultra wide zoom looks to have the same bulbous front element and inbuilt petal hood and my guess is...NO FILTER thread !

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Really want that 300mm...

Its great that Olympus is expanding their "Pro" line

3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    The 300 looks huge and the 7-14 will probably be $1k. Just stick with my cheaply P14mm and maybe add WA extender to make it a 11mm in the future. I wish someone would release a fast linear wide angle lens like a 8mm F/2.8 at a reasonable price point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For what it is, the Olympus 300mm f/4 is tiny compared to a FF 600mm f/4! Pair the 300mm with the upcoming 40-150mm 2.8 and you'll have most your telephoto needs covered! I can see a lot of wildlife and telephoto shooters (especially those who travel) consider this lens.

• Like Like x 5
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suppose these are just mockups, but yeah, as it stands no filter. Sigh.

To the folks that are complaining about the size of the 300/4: clearly you haven't been paying attention. Telephotos do not get smaller just because you take out the mirror. In optics, as in life, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL).

I'm happy that Olympus is doing these lenses, and even happier that they're letting us know in advance, but 2015 is a good ways off. The 300/4 especially would be a statement lens for the system. Then again, perhaps the AF on the E-M1 isn't ready for it.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    jonathon

i can see the 300 as being ideal for your professional needs.. a big punch in a small package

as an aside... I am in LA till the 26th... we should meet up for a coffee at least ... pm me

K

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Any long prime with a decent aperture is long overdue and I applaud it.
    Here's hoping the bodies will autofocus this one at their maximum potential.
    Some photographers will just have to buy it.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The thought of switching to E-M1 bodies is really tempting. The 40-150mm & 300mm would be amazing. Though I'm not sure if I could give my Nikon full frame cameras, despite Olympus offering very compelling equipment (far more interesting than Nikon of late).

9. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    nice looking lens IMHO :) both of them
    now when is the 40-150 coming out ? fact these say 2015 is a bummer big time for me :(

I would take quality over filter and with the size I can adapt something like the nikon has done still tiny compared to the nikon ultra wide and lighter so myself not to worried about it with the oy having what they have now 9-18 or whatever it is ?

just release date I am kinda bummed

• Like Like x 1
  10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I think the 300 is very small for a 300 prime, especially compared to the 'Great White' Canon super-tele's, as Jonathan mentioned. I bet nowhere near as heavy either - which is a very key point. Even my old EF 400mm 5.6 L sometimes became a chore to lug around, and that one was one of the lightest of the great white Canon bazookas.

This is a lens that I personally have been waiting for.

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012

Well at least we get to save money for these lenses because they will be pricey

12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    for a year at least :) hahaha

13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's hoping Olympus doesn't price the 300 f/4 like a full frame 600 f/4! Nikon makes a 300 f/4 and that lens retails under $1400 USD (it's tack sharp BTW). Considering the lens won't have any fancy IS, hopefully the Olympus lens should be relatively affordable.

14. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 8, 2013
    Moscow
    Maxim Guselnikov
    Wow! Both are extremely good-looking, but I want the ultra-wide zoom! What a PRO kit it would be - E-M1, 7-14, 12-40 & 40-150 all with 2,8!!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Doing some very rough measurements, I'd say it's about the same size as my Nikon 300mm f4 and could well be smaller, which is not really all that big a lens. Though I'm surprised that it's not an f2.8.

16. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Both of these lenses are on my wish list. A 1.4x TC would be a nice addition to the 300mm

17. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    From the pictures, it looks like the 300 is shorter than the pana 100-300 extended; and 1 stop faster... I immediately thought it was SMALL for what it is. Like them both and soon start saving like many here :)

18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am excited, even if I never own either, I am just glad to see more lenses for the system. Not sure I want the wide but I would love to have the 300mm! A fast long telephoto lens with AF on m4/3 ! YES!

Price is going to be the factor for most of us. I figure the wide will be around $1500 and the tele will be $2000 or so. At least they don't have the name Leica on them or they would be 3 times that!
    :doh:

Why are people saying the 300mm f4 is too big?? It looks small for those specs to me. A fast long lens is going to be big, there is NO way around it. For sure it is smaller than the Canon or Nikkor 300mm f4 offerings. A 300mm would perform like a 600mm does on FF or a 400mm does on APS. Have you ever seen a 600mm f4 lens? They are freak'n huge.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

They are interesting lenses but I'd rather have seen a 100-300 F4 zoom to be honest...

• Like Like x 1