1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First photos with Nex 5n

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by elandel, Mar 19, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

These are my first photos taken this morning with my 5n. All jpegs straight OOC - AWB - F 6.3 - ISO 100-200

It's a rainy dayand was very early in the morning - 6,30-7,00

Just wanted to try a see what it can do.

Comments welcome.

DSC00114.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

DSC00146.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    beautiful shots!

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.wanted to test how the jpegs came OOC and how the AWB works.

It was not the best day to test because lighting was really dreadfull, making colours a little dull I think. Must try again in bright light. I am instead a bit concerned about sharpness; they seem a bit soft to me. Can you confirm?

4. You've chosen some wonderful subjects to shoot! It's a bit hard to get a sense of the absolute sharpness in web sized images. I notice the last two seem to have lost some of the detail in the lighter areas. Where's all that famous NEX dynamic range gone to :wink:?

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I think I could have done better if I used better settings but I'm still trying to learn how to use this camera. So maybe not s good DR is my fault and not he camera. I think today's lighting would have been a challenge for any camera, must try more and more.

I surely know how to use better Oly cameras, which I still have, of course.

I forgot to come out this morning also with my E-pl3 and 9-18.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which lens(es) were these shot with?

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WB sucks on Sony and its quite evident from ur shots .
    Cheers

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Kit lens:18-55

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Is there some setting do to improve it, or must I set it everytime I shoot? That would be too bad for me, I hate messing around all the time with settings. I understand that in particular situations they have to be changed but not too often.
    That's why I shot in AWB, I really wanted to see how the WB behaved.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you must set it yourself to get it any better, either with the presets (ie, like Tungsten, Fluorescent, etc.), with Custom WB (dial in a Kelvin value), or with a Reference WB (shoot a grey card or white card).

Olympus have traditionally had very pleasing AWB, but even within the Olympus fold the older cameras don't compare to the accuracy of the latest generation (after turning "Keep Warm Colors" off, as that feature puts it back to the old system).

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes but in normal lighting like today (well not very normal) I suppose Ihad to turn WB to cluody. With the Oly E-pl3 I feel there is more accurate WB.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, it is much more accurate. But at least you're using a live view system right? So even though the Sony WB sucks, you can at least change the WB and get an accurate preview of what the changes will look like before you shoot the photo. Your best recourse is simply to stay away from AWB on that camera. Use AWB on your E-PL3, and preset or custom WB on your NEX. There was a time when AWB was not as useful as it is today, so just think of it as "kicking it old school". ;)

13. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I assume that you know this already, but just in case you don't - you can go into the setup menu and customise the button next to the bottom right hand corner of the lcd to one function eg: ISO, white balance, etc and also the centre button of the dial to 3 different functions (press right hand side of dial to scroll through the 3 options, so put most used one first).

(The button next to the bottom right hand corner of the lcd will still be for MF assist (magnify) when using manual focus.)

At least it makes it quicker to access the white balance menu that way. :smile:

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm not helping with this discussion but the OP's new 5N has me again thinking about such a purchase myself. No, I don't need an NEX and I have no plan to get rid of my micro four-thirds gear. But I wouldn't mind trying out the NEX for fun and adventure. But I probably wouldn't add the EVF - too expensive and maybe keep the kit down to two lenses.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As Ned pointed out u need to customize WB on Sony . I love Olympus WB but while indoor , I normally customize that as well .u can see in live view when u change to different options .
    Cheers

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thank you all for your hints.

17. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Nice shots, but they could all do with a little straightening.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes but I really shot in a hurry because it was raining and I was afraid for my brand new camera. Did not check the gridlines that I'll do now.