First photos of GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by EarthQuake, Jul 14, 2015.

1. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    GX8 images and specs via Digicameinfo.

– 20 Megapixel sensor
    – Dual IS (on sensor and on lens working together)
    – 2.36 million dot organic EL tilting EVF
    – Dust and water resistant
    – magnesium alloy body
    – 4K Photo · 4K Video
    – Free Angle 1.04 million dot organic EL monitor
    – Wi-Fi, NFC, QR code connection
    – Continuous shooting 8 frames / sec in the AF tracking
    – Body color is black and silver

I'm interested in the Dual IS. Hopefully it can compare to the EM-5 II in video (or at least my LX100) and fixes the jitter in OIS lenses.
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Wow, that looks amazing !! Big viewfinder that flips out ! Didn't expect the new sensor . Almost too good to be true . Water resistant! Finally . Now if they would only make a WR version of the 20mm lens :) the only negative for me is the screen - I prefer the flip down only. Really like the new shutter button placement .
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I'd love to see a photo of a top down comparison to the GX7 with the 12-35mm mounted to get a better idea of it's true size. I wonder how much smaller they made it compared to the GX7? Also they sacrificed the on board flash which is no big deal to me but might be a big deal to others.
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I need some reasons to not buy this camera!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Yeah, I really like how on Gx7 the lens mount is all the way to the left and there is more of an area to hold onto from right side to lens mount. This hand holding area looks like it may be smaller on Gx8
  7. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    crazy camera! Never considered Panasonic bodies, but I might now!
    Definitely something I will check out at the store

only the price tag.. improvements left and right. More pricey?
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm skeptical about the 20MP sensor and the impact that has in terms of diffraction limits. I know the companies are aware of this limitation, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. I'm interested to see what the tests say about this new sensor.

Also, it seems to lose the built-in flash from the GX7. <strike>And is probably not weather sealed.</strike> EDIT: just read more closely that the GX8 in fact is "dust and water resistant" -- one fewer reason not to buy.

Ah, who am I kidding, this looks like it could be a tour de force and I am just grasping for any reason to hold off on purchasing.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Good thing I'm broke or I'd be placing a pre-order today!

Oh wait, I guess that's not a good thing at all . . .
  10. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    quick photoshop, not sure if 100% accurate, trying to match hotshoe/mount/lens sizes:

the new EVF looks big
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's probably $1200. Is that enough? :)
  12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The control layout looks very sensible. The tradeoff for the larger EVF appears to be the built-in flash, and I'm quite happy to make that trade.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Based on the trajectory of Panasonic prices (outside of the GH line), it should be $800-900 before the end of the year.
  14. tkbslc

I really like the built in flash on the GX7! Crap. At the very least, how am I going to trigger my off camera flashes ?

Just remember that diffraction only limits resolution, it doesn't decrease it. A difraction limited 20MP sensor will never have less resolution than a 16MP or 12MP one at the same aperture.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Was sorely tempted to get the GX7 instead when I got my E-P5, really tempted by this one. If they can get a better EVF on it than the 7 and the IBIS takes well to MF and Oly lenses I feel like I might have to have one :D

& edit - and yeah small a flash commander you can get on it without ruining handling is another thing to consider.
  16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Dang it, Panasonic keeps making the cameras that I need to buy. I held off from getting the GX7, but now I'm married, we have two incomes, and I feel inevitably fated to end up with that GX8...
  17. tkbslc

For me:

4K video and Photo
    Maybe better IS
    VF looks bigger
    Weather resistant
    extra control dial

No flash
    EVF still sticks out too far
    Not sure if all the button/dial placement changes make sense
    I personally prefer the tilt only LCD to the flip out tilt/swivel LCD. I don't like having to make my camera twice as wide and block access to my lens controls to use the tilt LCD.

IBIS works in video
    EVF is not 16:9 ratio that crops to a tiny 4:3 for photo taking (like on the GX7)

20MP sensor seems unlikely to me. Panasonic makes their own sensors and they are pretty good. Why would they buy one from Sony? Sony doesn't have any current sensors where a 4/3 size version would be 20MP.
    Dual IS sounds fishy to me.

I doubt it will fall that fast, the end of the year is only going to be 2-3 months away before this can ship.
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Neat. Looks serious. I wonder how good the IBIS+OIS is? Still, not much reason for me to buy it. Not really much better for stills and I don't want 4K.
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    A handle to dangle!

Big EVF. Nice.

Special dial-upon-dial, new thinking : fujiesque perhaps? Nice.

I'd love this as an Olympus.
  20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Why does the name on the front really matter?