1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First Photos From My New G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kevin boyer, Oct 30, 2013.

1. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    I got out yesterday to the local State Park with my new G5, Sigma f2.8 30mm DN lens, new tripod. It was gorgeous day, and a perfect opportunity to try it all out. These photos are sooc jpeg, with no pp. I figured I would try it like this to start out. All photos were shot in manual mode, in scenery with custom settings that I got from one of the G5 settings threads here on the Panasonic forum. All comments are welcomed, good, bad, or indifferent. It can only help me to learn more about the micro 4/3 scene.
    I have Lightroom 3.6 64 bit downloaded on my PC, but have really not used it that much in the future, but will tinker with it as I progress with this new 4/3 format.

Contrast 0
    Sharpness 0
    Color -1
    Noise Reduction -2

P1000080 by kevin_boyer58, on Flickr

P1000066 by kevin_boyer58, on Flickr

Kevin.

P1000083 by kevin_boyer58, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Great shots, I really like the first one. Once you start using raw, you will like your great camera even more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Shooting manual was a big step for me. :thumbup: I am working up to try raw at some point, but my version of LR doesn't support raw, and I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to LR 5.2. I know there are programs out there to convert to raw, but I want to get comfortable with this new genre slowly before I try something that might overwhelm me.

Kevin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Congrats on the G5! It's a great camera and with the Sigma lens, really nice combo.

Agree on shooting RAW, I shoot JPG+RAW, not really happy with the OOC JPG, previously had the G3, was really happy with the settings for the OOC JPG, with the G5 just haven't been able to reproduce same results, have to fiddle some more I guess, in the meantime RAW is perfect for getting the shots to look how you want them to look, if you compare the JPG with RAW you'll also see there's lots more detail available, which is another bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Kevin, I also like the first one especially. One thing that you'll find if you start to use some of that wider-aperture legacy glass that we've been discussing is that it will really help you to blur the backgrounds - something that can really make the subject matter pop. The one shortcoming of the Sigma 30mm, as well as anything that's much wider in M4/3 (with the exception of the fast Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4), is that it's difficult to get much separation of subject and background - something that distracts from the 2nd and 3rd images. If you had shot those last two pictures with a nifty fifty at, say f2 or at worst f2.8, you could really have blurred the backgrounds more effectively.

• Like Like x 1