First PEN black&white

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by pharaviel, Jul 13, 2011.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    My first experiment with Silver efex! Please be gentle :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I like how you have made a feature of the power lines and the b&w conversion works nicely.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Honest appraisal.

IMHO

Just work a little on you horizon line, to me eye, its a little tilted to the left side. While I understand the power line as part of the composition, the pole, dead center of the image, is distracting to me eye.

Very nice job on the conversion, nice drama in the sky, and stark landscape.

Overall a very nice first effort.

Alan

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I know it does not follow the "rule of thirds" type composition, but anyway I think it looks great!

5. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I like the Silver Efex look. Maybe too much.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    First and foremost, your images should make you happy. These shots are very dramatic, which are good for the two shots you've shown.

7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Power lines are fu***ng everywhere here!

The image is shot on a hill, I tried to use as a "horizon" reference the house's roof. But could be better.
    I know the pole isn't nice looking, but as I just wrote, they are just everywhere!

EPL2 really do not help, and I'm starting to care less about the rule while making landscapes. I still use it a lot on portraits!

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with this images! m43 is giving my back my joy as a photographer!

Another image!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Power lines are always a pain but you used them to your advantage. I think it would be more interesting if the house was off center---maybe crop the right side.
    Thanks!

9. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Nice shot!
    I agree the pole is distracting, but I actually liked the tilted mountain line intersecting with the lines of the grassy hill, power lines and trees.
    One thing with Silver Efex though, the results are often noisy...

I like the lines in #3 and the structure of the pavement but the sky is distracting (IMHO). I would try to make the sky darker if it's possible somehow, maybe try "Full Dynamic" or "Full Structure and Details" conversions.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the work you did in silver Efex fits the subject well. The composition doesn't quite work. Someone much wiser than me once said that it's OK to break the rules if you have a reason to break them and if you know why. I have cropped it using the Rule of Thirds keeping the horizon on the horizontal (straightened it a bit.....but it's hard to tell where it is really).

Untitled by Lukinosity, on Flickr

To me the subject is the building.... and the power lines leading into the distant lovely hills. The bank of trees on the left has nothing really happening in it. I could have cropped out the clouds and left the foreground, but that is a personal decision. There are VERY few photos that work with a centered horizon. So you can raise it up or you can lower it depending on whether you want to feature those nice clouds or those lovely foreground. As it is, the eye is just left to wander searching for the subject.

Your second photo, I really dig. Keep up the good work. It takes a lot of courage to ask a bunch of strangers for a critique, but listening to and understanding the critiques will make you better faster than anything else.

But keep in mind, that the most important thing is that the image pleases you.

11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi pharaviel,

This one is spot on. Great drama in the sky, when I opened it I almost wanted to duck my head down. This image works well for me, dramatic and ominous.

Alan

12. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    For everyone: thanks for the great feedback!

I know, I know... In fact Luke's crop is awesome.

I know the results are noisy, I'm using film simulation with FP4+ (125iso) and HP5+ (400iso), Ilford film I use with film cameras.

Thank you for the awesome crop, after some years with the Fuji S5 Pro (6Mpx) I just forgot I can crop with camera raw.
    :rofl:

Thanks Alan, I'm happy you like it!