First Panasonic 30mm macro review online

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by sprocket87, Mar 19, 2015.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    See here for the first review/test/samples of the upcoming Panasonic 30mm f/2.8 macro:
    http://www.photoreview.com.au/revie...mix-g-macro-30mm-f-2.8-asph.-mega-o.i.s.-lens

Looks fine. Hard to get excited about it for me personally. The Sigma 30mm already does a pretty nice job for less $$ at the same focal length & aperture for portraits or general photography, and I think most macro enthusiasts would choose a longer focal length like the P45 or O60.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree, however Panasonic's lens decisions don't really take into account what Olympus has available. They don't make money when Olympus sells a lens. Their 45mm macro is kind of out of reach for a regular hobby photographer. I mean it is still $900 new! They needed a cheap macro in the lineup and I guess maybe they were thinking 30mm fit in there OK. They couldn't make it 50 or 60mm+ and keep the price down, because it would rob sales from the 45mm and so they went the other way. That said, those of us buying take all the options into account, and yes it does look a little boring.

I think if they'd have made it f2, it would be kind of a no-brainer lens in most people's kit. As is, it's kind of hard to really find a place for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Looks decent, and I don't mind the focal length - fine for flowers etc. However if I want true macro I've got the Oly 60 (plus legacy kit) and of a similar focal length the Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.4 gives near macro performance that is very good (highly recommended whilst you can still pick them p for under £100).

If I was new to M43 and didn't have other options I might have been tempted though. I can see why they released it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Logical points of reasoning from both of you ^

I agree, I can understand why Panasonic is releasing it. It fills a hole in their lineup, plain and simple, but I don't see this making waves in the existing m43 community. Still, the more the merrier!

(Watch, I'll end up owning one a month after it's released :D)

• Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

On another forum, someone just bumped a thread of mine from over a year ago about the 15mm f1.7 announcement. I think I said something like it wasn't needed since we already had the 14mm f2.5 and the 17mm f1.8 and commented on how overpriced it was just because of the Leica name.

It's now my favorite lens. Glad I'm not afraid of changing my mind.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It sounds like an excellent prime (then again, most macro lenses are)...however...for me, 30mm (or its 60mm equiv) would be way too short for macro. I've been using my kit lens, which does 1:2 macro at 46mm (92mm equiv) and even that's pushing it. One of the reasons I keep considering the Oly 60mm (aside from the fact that it does 1:1 and is weathersealed) is that it would give me more working distance, which I feel is often needed.

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    60mmish on 35mm was a popular choice, so the focal length isn't that odd a choice. It's too short for a lot of insects but I find that length fine for most flowers. It can of course lead to subject shading, but on the otherhand it brings LED ring lights close enough to be reasonably useful.

Wer'e quite lucky having, 30, 45 and 60 options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I see this lens more as a specialized flora and coin shooting lens than anything else. Certainly, it has a niche place to fill but I don't see it being used much for landscapes, etc., as it is a little on the long side for that kind of shooting. I think the Olympus 60 macro is more suited for general nature images. I shoot with a 35/2.8 Pentax macro lens on my APS-C camera and love it for close-ups and general photography; but, put it on a m 4/3rd camera and it becomes a little too long for what I enjoy shooting with my Pentax and its aspect.
    GR

9. tkbslc

35x1.5 = 53mm equiv
    30x2 = 60mm equiv
    35x2 = 70mm equiv.

This is closer to what that 35mm gives you on Pentax than what it gives you on m4/3. Some of the "long" normal primes were 55 and 58mm back in the film days. This is only a hair longer than a 58mm on film.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    My favorite macro lens on FF is a 60mm 2.8, ideal for some types of product photography. This nevertheless is a good addition to Micro 4/3s.

11. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I would not rule out the Panasonic 30 for doing some nature and flower shots but for landscapes it would be used less. For landscapes my preference is for a little wider and longer.
    I am looking forward to seeing more examples from this Panasonic lens.
    GR

12. tkbslc

It just seemed like you were saying it is totally different than your 35mm on Pentax, and I don't think it will be. Compare 26 and 30 on a kit zoom and thats' the difference. Should be good for anything a 25mm is, just a hair longer.

I've been wondering if it 30mm wouldn't make more sense as a companion to a 14 or 15mm prime. Usually people have 25mm's, but 30mm is nice 2x progression and it does macro. Add a Sigma 60mm or 75mm f1.8 on the end and you are set.

13. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    For prime lens your idea of a 14 or 15mm, 25 or 30 and a 60 or 75 mm would make a very nice lightweight and versatile combination. Typically, I enjoy primes more than I do zooms. Their sharpness and compactness bode well out-in-the-field. I would probably pick up the Olympus 100/2.8 macro as well, for those times where WR is needed. Seems like I always end up in wet weather! Agreed!
    GR

14. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Not bad if you want a macro lens with a bit wider FOV. Sometimes on the Oly 60mm, to get very close also means you lose a lot of the surrounding background.
    I do wish the lens was f/2 or so to make it a bit more exciting, but alas it's probably still a nice lens to have :)

Granted, working distance is less than the 60mm, but not every macro must be shot at 1:1.

• Agree Agree x 1