1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First paid shoot with E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Aug 31, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The last time I took my OM-D for a paid shoot, it was a backup with my NEX-7 doing most of the work.

This time, I just took my OM-D.

An interesting observation is that at least up to 2000x2000, I can't tell much of a difference in quality between the Panasonic 14-45mm and the modern 4/3rd Olympus ZD 50mm F2 Macro for this distance. Of course the Olympus can go to 1:1 (in 35mm terms) which is much closer but 14-45mm... I mean I can't complain about the resolution.

If Olympus comes out with a F1.4 or F1.2 16mm that is amazing, I'm not sure how I can justify keeping my NEX-7 ZA 24mm combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now some with the Oly 50mm ZD F2 Macro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey and a Sub shot.

[​IMG]

The lens is actually pretty decent at Infinity as well and will produce moire so it's sharp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Bokeh too.

[​IMG]

But you need to bet at F2.8 or smaller.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Haha I just came over from Ars - Deja Vu! :)

Question - some of those watch faces look really dark - is that how they are manufactured?

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    REALLY NICE wath collection!....:cool:

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If you mean the Sinn, yeah, it's designed to be "stealth".

There could also just be a brightness problem. I noticed on my 27" iMac, everything seems just bright enough in pictures. But when I get on my 15" Macbook Pro, it looks much darker.

So it depends what part of dark you're talking about.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Is that a Surefire combat light or one of the Chinese knockoffs?

Nice, clean product images. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Great shots. Black on black is very tough to pull off and you've done a great job. Good thing you had the OMD's dynamic range to help out :)

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    watches are about as exciting to me as trash bags, but your photos of them are quite nice. I wouldn't have the patience.

• Like Like x 1
  8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I need to stop looking at this thread....

9. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great images! Well done. That said, DON'T get me started on watches! They're my OTHER weakness! MUST RESIST. :dash2:

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    drool over the IWC watch

Nice pics!!

11. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I appreciate a good wristwatch but I don't wear one because my wrists are too skinny lol

Really good shots. I like the lighting actually. I also like how the trees in the 1st landscape shot look 3 dimensional :thumbup:

12. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    :rofl:
    I'm pretty sure a guy with a 10k watch would have real deal when it comes to the light stick....I'm thinking this comment is sarcasm at its finest! You're funny!

13. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My apologies if my post was construed as sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be. Allow me to elaborate.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about portable time pieces. I don't know about the acquisition cost or, for that matter, the elevated market resale "value" of those watches depicted in those photographs. To me they are just tools.

I am, however, quite familiar with the products of that tiny, but quite famous Fountain Valley, CA company that designs and manufactures some of the best portable, combat flashlights. I own several models and regularly carry them in conjunction with my firearm (legally carried with government permit). I do know about the elevated acquisition cost of these devices. Their build quality and reliability is the primary reason that most of their business originates from that of law enforcement officers and military personnel whom have the need for the very best illumination tools in a probable life and death circumstance.

Such continued quality in Surefire products have naturally spawned a number of design elements in very similar products from the Asian market. Some are outright clones impinging on the original Surefire patents; clear violations that likely cannot be stopped due the probability that the US Patent office has no jurisdiction in foreign countries.

Legal woes aside, these near-direct copies and and design variants of the Surefire models are quite good. I have sampled a few and they have astonishingly equaled the quality of the Surefires as far as cosmetics. Given that there is no visible name or trade logo of the Surefire company on that flashlight depicted in the image that I referenced, the fact that I asked about the brand of the flashlight product, and that your conclusion that it is a Surefire since it is in the company of those high-cost watches simply means that neither one of us know what the brand name is.

14. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Hehe, the ironic thing is that you can also find nice copies of fine watches here as well. :rofl:

15. Leo

Leo New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2012
    Calgary
    Wow, these shots are amazing!

16. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Digging the GMT duotone and Sub!

17. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Haha so the light is a Fenix TK10, got it on the recommendation of some Marines I used to shoot with at Pendleton. I personally don't use it much at all, just a fun very nicely made toy.

And here are a couple with an aftermarket artificially faded pepsi. I much prefer the real fade on the real rolex bezel, the chemical fades look extremely artificial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmm Lug Holes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]