First Outing With The 100-300 - Killer Whales

Discussion in 'Nature' started by A.H. Photography, Aug 23, 2013.

1. A.H. Photography

A.H. Photography New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2013
    Hello all,

Second post on mu-43. Just picked up my 100-300 the other day and figured I'd put it to the test shooting an extremely hard subject... Killer Whales from a boat without any monopod or tripod...

It was a test of patience, I wanted to throw it in the ocean a few times, many good shots were blurred or focused bad, but because the boat moves and the whales surface out of no where for a split second at a time I feel the results were not that great due to subject, environment and the fact that this is my first time shooting a lens this long.

We heard reports of a few groups of Transient Orcas spotted and we managed to track down a LARGE group between Moresby Island and Salt Spring Island BC, there were about 15-20 of them. Probably 2 to 3 families visiting each other for a short period as they crossed paths... and they gave us a good show for over an hour. Here are a few of the shots...

Hope you guys like them!

Incoming Orcas Spotted

2. A.H. Photography

Aug 14, 2013
    You find the lens Mega OIS better than IBIS? I tried both and from my very unscientific test I found IBIS gave sharper results... I'll need to test it more.
  3. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA

In a real forehead-smacking moment, I realized the hard way that using a tripod on a boat is of no help if you're trying to shoot something that's not in the boat. :rolleyes:
  4. A.H. Photography

Aug 14, 2013
    Yea I didn't use both at the same time and found IBIS better...

My results were much better on stationary subjects like these sun tanning harbour seals off Galiano Island

Not super sharp, but better as they weren't surprising me like the whales in different locations!

Yep it's pretty much hand held or nothing! Couldn't have done this with a full frame 600mm equivalent for over an hour!
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    For such a difficult subject in such challenging circumstances you got some really good shots. The 25mm is my favorite lens, but the 100-300 is a close second. :thumbup:
  6. A.H. Photography

Aug 14, 2013
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to using it for some birds. The 35-100 gives crystal clear bird shots but at the price of a lot of cropping!