1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First outing with 100-300mm and E-M5

Discussion in 'Nature' started by dave92029, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    My Pany 100-300mm arrived yesterday. I'm very pleased with the resulting images.

The Pany is a substantial (large and heavy) M43 lens. Most of these were shot with the assistance of my tripod.

Your C&C are welcome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice sharp, clear photos - I love that lens! :thumbup:

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    All great shots! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd one. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity (because I have the Oly 75-300mm and haven't seen the Panny long zoom up close and personal), so the E-M5's IBIS doesn't allow for the Panny to be used handheld?

4. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I shot a few shots handheld, but because of the weight and magnification of the 100-300mm, I just felt more comfortable using some support.

I'll probably use just my monopod next time.

Don't want to lose that one opportunity to get a shot because I got lazy and didn't use some support.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sorry, the 'weight'? The 100-300 weighs a touch over a pound - my 50/1.4 Sigma for DSLR weighs more than that. For its focal length, it's a compact, very lightweight lens.

I personally find it perfectly usable handheld, and my impression is that using the OIS is a bit more effective than using the E-M5's IBIS. It's a decently (not fantastically) sharp lens, but the reach is fantastic. I tend to pop up ISO in order to maintain shutter speeds around 1/600-1/1000 where possible - the 'one over (2x) focal length' trick is a good guide but there's a definite learning curve to making that achievable with long glass, stabilized or not.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Can you post an image of the lens on the camera both at short & long end of zoom so we can get an idea of size on camera.

I suspect it will be too big for my GX1!! (unlike the 45-175 and 45-200 I used to own).

7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Good clean shots!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.