First outing w/ GM1+12-32: Kawayan Transitional Shelters

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by xdayv, Jul 12, 2014.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    These transitional shelters were built for the Typhoon Yolanda (/Haiyan) victims who lost their homes during the typhoon last Nov. 8, 2013. I was also able to use the 35-100 in some of the shots. The GM1 is very small, but no slouch compared to its bigger cousins, with its limitations taken into consideration. I'm loving it as a 2nd/backup camera to the GH3. Thanks for looking.

[1] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[2] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[3] 35-100:
    [​IMG]

[4] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[5] 35-100:
    [​IMG]

[6] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[7] 35-100:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  2. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    Dave,

I like the IQ but the lack of a bulb exposure makes me hesitate to buy it. I wish the GX7 has the 12-32 as it's kit lens. On a different note: how are the people's spirits? They seem sad in your pictures.

John S.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    John hi, frankly I didn't even bother to check if it has bulb mode, because my primary objective for the GM1 was to be my small & lightweight companion for my (domestic) travels, I need to save every ounce... and compared to my GH3, it's David vs Goliath :biggrin:. As a second camera, I wouldn't mind the absence of bulb mode. GX7 is a gem of a camera I guess if one prefers Panasonic. If I didn't have the GH3, most likely the GX7 would end up in my bag. OTOH, the 12-32 is small, nice little kit lens!

Regarding your last question - the life in these shelters are not easy, they are small, crammed into small spaces and the sanitation is not that good. There might be sadness deep inside, but their spirit is strong, these people know how to adjust and adapt to these living conditions nevertheless. They've been through the worst so to speak.

• Like Like x 2
  4. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Nice set ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  6. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks for sharing. As always, nice set of photos!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Dave, how is the sharpness throughout the focal range? I'm thinking of picking this lens up.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Jon, I haven't done any empirical test, but initial outing with the kit lens, so far so good - can't ask for more for a kit lens, with OIS to boot, this one is so small and compact. Although my inkling now is to let go of this, since I ordered just the body, but my supplier was so kind to send me the kit! :confused:

For my style of shooting, I shoot wide open most of the times, hence a small prime will be more fitting. I'm looking at the PL15 since it has an external aperture ring which will compensate for GM1's lack of dedicated dials.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Thanks for the "likes". Here's one more set.

[8] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[9] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[10] 35-100:
    [​IMG]

[11] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[12] 12-32:
    [​IMG]

[13] 35-100:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    Wonderful, love the whole set especially the last one.

• Like Like x 1