1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First outing on the streets

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by swifty, Feb 1, 2013.

1. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    I've had my EM5 for just under a week (and loving it) but the weather in Sydney's been abysmal lately so I've mostly just been taking pictures of my cats.
    After some brief sunshine, I intended to go shooting after work today but the weather turned ugly yet again. But I was quite determined to go out regardless and besides, wet weather usually makes for good photo ops :)
    Here's a selection from tonight. Mostly street but a few cityscapes thrown in there too.

i-NrHsrrG-L.

i-B7kB79X-L.

i-vjNKsxg-L.

i-NktXNXL-L.

i-RPrWNLh-L.

i-KLtPRs3-L.

i-Bs2SNWV-L.

i-5L45QDn-L.

i-n7jbntp-L.

• Like Like x 20
  2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Nice. The third (umbrella girl) is great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Congrats on your new toy. I really like the 2nd picture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Nice, imaginative shots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I agree, the 3rd and 7th are my favorites. May there be many more great shots to come (both taken and posted!).

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Nice images, man. Those first four are especially great.

I don't particularly enjoy being out in the rain, and I certainly never thought it afforded great photo ops. I've changed my mind seeing your photos, here. I'm going to have to go ahead and pursue finding a copy of the weather-sealed kit zoom for my OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Getting used to shooting with the EM5 and there are plenty of quirks for me to get use to. Definitely missed quite a few grab shots due to my slow fiddling and accidental wrong button presses haha eg. the second last shot where I missed focus on the girl as well as being late on the timing.

Probably should start another thread to ask but is there any way of setting the EVF on full time display whilst having the Super Control Panel on the LCD. I know you can do it with the auto EVF switch but I find it too slow so I prefer to have the EVF on all the time. But having the SCP on the back LCD at the same time would be great, sort of like the top LCD on DSLRs.

mrkr: I shot completely with the 75/1,8 which is not weather sealed as far as I know. I had the 12-50 in my pocket in case it got too wet but slipping the EM5/75mm in and out of my jacket quickly to shoot was adequate in keeping it dry.

Hmmm...last shot looks darker than I remembered when I was processing it. Suppose to be low key but think I may have overdone it a bit haha.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I really like number three, you can see the raindrops - very nice. I also like number five, there's something about the colors and composition that appeals to me. Nice set! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    That's a warm rain.Swifty, you've got an eye for the pretty ladies!

• Like Like x 1
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Nice set, well worth going out for and the rain adds an extra dimension. A great start with the new camera! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Spinyman: yea as you've noticed most ppl aren't dressed appropriately for the wet weather. We're in the middle of summer but have had some strange weather. The day started out nice but turned very quickly catching a lot of people off guard.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at comment.

12. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Hmmm.... Yes the raindrops!:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. swifty

swifty Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Sydney
    Dave
    Haha.. ok just to show I'm an equal opportunity photographer, here's one I snapped the next day :p

i-C4Z5rwS-L.

14. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Magnificent shots! You did a wonderful job!

• Like Like x 1