1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First official E-M5 photo

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LEOR, Feb 24, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, it looks sharp, but that's no surprise. All the m43 cameras are capability of detailed, sharp images, and with 16 mp on an m43 sensor I wouldn't expect less. Beyond that, it really doesn't tell us much. The lighting is too perfect to tell much about noise or DR, or high ISO performance.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Extreme closeup portrait!

It looks like there is a ton of detail in the hair, but no idea how that would compare would with the E-P3?

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I would expect detail to be on par with the GH2 / GX1. All are 16 mp sensors, will have essentially the same pixel pitch, and weak AA filters. The GH2 / GX1 rate very, very high for image detail. If you look at the comparometer on DPR, the GH2 is better than most of the APS-C DSLRs, as a result of the very fine pixel pitch and weak AA. And slightly better than the 12 mp m43 cameras, simply because of the higher pixel density.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like it. Can't wait to see more.

Wish I could test it out for myself. ;) I expect we would see sharper detail in a lower-key image than this one. I like the higher key images myself (as you can always tell from my photos), but I never get as much crisp detail as I could with a lower key image.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If anyone cares, the EXIF is still embedded in the JPEG. 1/160s at f/8 using ISO 200. The lens used is the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, no surprise, but I was kind of curious, since Panasonic and Olympus seem afraid to admit that the other exists. Focused about 2m (6.6ft) away. Gives a depth of field of about 0.5m (18 inches).

6. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  8. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Is the 45mm faster than 1.8?

From the EXIF:

Maximum lens aperture: 1.69531

9. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    Toronto
  10. Generally this looks like a great image. Sharp with heaps of detail, but you can tell that the noise reduction has kicked into overdrive in the darker areas. The are noticeable transitions in her hair from detail to mush. Near her left ear is a good example (her left, not your left).

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I wish we could see sample images with Noise Filter turned off. After all, that's the only way I shoot. ;)

12. Yes, Oly in-camera noise reduction can be a bit nuclear. I wanna see what some base ISO RAW files look like for noise, although to be honest, unless I get the camera in my hand, take the shots that I like to take, and process them how I like to process them, it is difficult for me to evaulate whether I would like the image output more than my existing cameras.

13. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    Toronto
    Noise reduction? Her neck, her left ear, and the hair behind her ears are out of focus. :rolleyes:

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm not that impressed. It looks sharp, but not pin-sharp and in the lower right corner I see some CA in the gear wheels' rims. The aperture is f/6 according to the EXIF at 43mm, so obviously it's wide-open. Maybe it gets sharper on stopping down, but CA doesn't tend to go away. For macro this lens wouldn't be my choice.

15. It's not different areas of focus I'm looking at. Even on the same focal plane, as soon as you transition to the darker areas of her hair the detail gets totally nuked by the camera's shadow noise reduction.

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Doesn't look like CA to me, just the metallic glow.