1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

First night shot

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by saeveritt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Hey guys, this is my first attempt at taking pictures with out the sun!
    I had the F set to 3.5 and shutter speed around a second or more.

[​IMG]

I did a little bit of color correction and tampered with the exposure.
    Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Any comments or criticism?

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    imimpressed by the sharpness did you handhold?

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I think you have done well - I assume you used a tripod.

5. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Yes, a tripod was used. Best investment so far! Is there anything that this picture is lacking? I find that the depth could be better.

6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think the angle could be moved slightly so the the tree is not covering the line of the house (edge of the garage for example). Maybe cover a little bit more sky or even the tree top would be better. I feel a little crammed looking at the photo.

There are obviously physical constrains though, but that's just my opinion.

7. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Now looking at it I understand what you mean. I feel as if I should have included the edge of the garage and change my angle a bit. Thanks for the comment!

8. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    First: I am not an art professional. All I do is look at stuff and ask if I like it, and then ask why.

Now see, that is what I liked about the shot; the curve of the tree substituting for the edge of the garage and the line of the roof. For me, it brings together the animate and the inanimate is a nice unified way.

More depth? There's plenty. That is a good compromise. The tree is obviously separate from the house, but still in acceptable focus. If either of the two elements were more out of focus, it would destroy the unity that I think makes the shot interesting (for me).

My advice, shade the lights, especially the one inside; maybe put a dimmer bulb in the ones outside, like a 40 watt. Make everything a little moodier, but not much. Just bring it together a little more.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ya done real good . It seems to me your instincts were on.
    There are many night shooters on the forum and you just made a good addition to the ranks. Keep em coming.

10. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the welcoming feedback. I'll try and post some more up in the next couple of days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.