First morning with the Pen-F.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Jul 14, 2016.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I was forced to buy something with my EM-5 at death`s door. video longer worked
    Could only take pictures the manual modes and the last tiime I used I`d get blank screens.
    Would have to turn it off and on a few times to get it working. I asked my local shop
    how much they would give me a trade in. 20,000 yen. They didnt even chuck a lens on it.
    I had the box and everything. Too cool. If I had fixed it then traded it in I would have got the same price.

First night at home I was kind of dissapointed I thought it was sluggish (AF) compared to my EM-5. Maybe it was just me at that time?? This morning went for a walk and was more than happy the results, considering I havn`t finished the manual yet or know how to use it

Some used with the creative dial. most are raw files with small tweaks in LR.
    lens used 12-40mm pro and olympus 60mm macro.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Wow. Fantastic shots! I like the first bird photo. Just lovely.

PS: I'd love to visit Tottori one day and buy me a pen.... but not the Pen-F, something smaller more hand-made :)
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow, you got a $190 for a barely functioning E-M5. Considering fully functioning ones sell for roughly $300, I'd say you made out pretty good!

I'm curious, why pick the Pen-F over something like the E-M5 II? Did you not like the handling of the E-M5 II as much as the Pen-F, or were you drawn to it for other reasons (20MP sensor, different JPEG modes, etc.)?

Speaking of the different JPEG modes, how do you find the various modes (both color and black & white) compared to your E-M5?
  4. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Yeah I was wrapped with the trade in. It was at a nationwide camera chain. Kitamura camera.
    I`m in the boon docks and the staff (in my store) are basically just staff and know next to nil about cameras.
    I think they have a check list they go through and then decide the trade in. Box, manual, all cables etc.
    then scratches wear and tear. When I asked about a trade in I was told they can give between, 16,000 - 23,000 yen.
    Mine had wear and tear, nothing major. I didnt baby the camera.

As to why I chose the pen-f.
    First trying other cameras is hard, they only have the cheaper cameras in stock. You want something good
    you have to order it in. I have never even seen a e-m5II in the flesh.
    I wanted something a little smaller than the e-m5 and wanted an EVF. Price wise the pen is just crazy
    and the panasonic`s gx8/ gx85 are only in Japanese. But the look of the camera and as you said the 20mp
    JPEG modes etc all influenced me. We go out a lot with the kids and the wife hated using the e-m5, too big for her.

I also want to get the E-M1 mkII as a replacement to my e-m5. My wife thinks the Pen F is a used camera, to replace my E-M5
    until I get the E-M1 mkII. But not until it`s price drops, How much is that thing gonna be?

Today was my first walk around with it, and havn`t even used or tried to use half of the differnt modes so cant say yet.
    but there seems to be so much more that you can do.
    But I`m glad I got it. I always thought I had a bit of a dud camera with my E-M5 (not all E-M5`s just mine)
    While it`s been great and I have taken many great snaps with it. It`s hard to explain, and it`s not the extra 5mp thats
    making the difference. But the photos taken with the pen seem to need far less PP. But with my E-M5 I was always
    laboring to get a final image I liked.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    @monchan@monchan Please be sure to report back as you continue to use the camera. I'm particularly interested in the various JPEG color and B&W modes, so I look forward to sample images.

My hope is that the E-M1 II incorporates the new modes from the Pen-F, while also bringing usable 4K and 1080p footage, and that it improves on the PDAF technology for using 4/3 lenses. If Olympus can do that, I'll definitely be pre-ordering one.
  6. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Am off camping tomorrow, well not really camping just sleeping in a tent and traveling out from around the camp site.
    Pool, amusment park, hot springs and restaurants, honestly just sleeping in a tent and no cooking.

But should have a chance to try out a bit of what the camera can do. will post up when I get back.
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Please - no more cat pictures ;) Seriously - nice shots! Enjoy the Pen F.