1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First micro4/3 camera purchase help.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jackmell, Jan 3, 2012.

1. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    Hi, I'm looking to make the move from 35mm film to digital as i had a not so pleasant experience on a trip over christmas which left me scouring gothenberg for some film to no avail. As much as i love the emotion i get from film the practicality of digital has pushed me into having my film camera as a nostalgic back up.

I tend to move around alot and do street photography so M4/3 seems like the most logical route for me. I wouldn't say im a seasoned photographer but i know my way around a manual camera so technicality isnt really an issue as i see it.

My budget is £550 ($850 ish) maybe £600 at a push. The two cameras that appeal to me most are the E-p2 (which i could get with a zoom kit lens and the P 20mm f1.7 lens for £550) or the E-PM1 with the panny lens which would push me to £600.

any advice would be appreciated. I love the design of the E-P2 (button layout) but is the E-PM1 worth the extra cash given the focusing advantaged etc.

thanks,
    jack.

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I always buy a new body but never buy a new lens. A used lens is still great. If you want to buy a used lens, just make sure it's still in great condition.

This just information from you, there will be a new mirrorless body this January and one of them is from m43 Olympus :D

3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The EPM1 is always a safe (and great!) choice, you won't be disappointed!

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Hi, welcome to the digital age :smile:

I would not recommend any of the older PEN models for street photography as they have a huge shutter lag. I have the E-P2 and find it useless for anything else than static subjects.

You could also consider a Panasonic GF2 which is much faster in use. It also has a nice touch screen. I used it more on my last holidays than my dslr.