First micro4/3 camera purchase help.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jackmell, Jan 3, 2012.

1. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    Hi, I'm looking to make the move from 35mm film to digital as i had a not so pleasant experience on a trip over christmas which left me scouring gothenberg for some film to no avail. As much as i love the emotion i get from film the practicality of digital has pushed me into having my film camera as a nostalgic back up.

I tend to move around alot and do street photography so M4/3 seems like the most logical route for me. I wouldn't say im a seasoned photographer but i know my way around a manual camera so technicality isnt really an issue as i see it.

My budget is £550 ($850 ish) maybe £600 at a push. The two cameras that appeal to me most are the E-p2 (which i could get with a zoom kit lens and the P 20mm f1.7 lens for £550) or the E-PM1 with the panny lens which would push me to £600.

any advice would be appreciated. I love the design of the E-P2 (button layout) but is the E-PM1 worth the extra cash given the focusing advantaged etc.

thanks,
    jack.

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I always buy a new body but never buy a new lens. A used lens is still great. If you want to buy a used lens, just make sure it's still in great condition.

This just information from you, there will be a new mirrorless body this January and one of them is from m43 Olympus :D 

3. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The EPM1 is always a safe (and great!) choice, you won't be disappointed!

4. Hi, welcome to the digital age :smile:

I would not recommend any of the older PEN models for street photography as they have a huge shutter lag. I have the E-P2 and find it useless for anything else than static subjects.

You could also consider a Panasonic GF2 which is much faster in use. It also has a nice touch screen. I used it more on my last holidays than my dslr.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.