First micro four thirds!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by col902, Oct 4, 2011.

1. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    Hello, I am new to the world of micro four thirds, and would like to get my first one. My budget with the kit lens is $450. I answered some questions so that you could help me choose my camera better.

What do you like to shoot?
    nature, stuff on vacations, some sports, just a little though

How much studying do you plan to put into it? Do you want the camera to make the decisions or do you want to learn how to make the decisions for yourself?
    i know about camera settings and stuff, so i want to make my own decisions

What kind of lighting conditions are you normally in when you want to take photos?
    daytime, maybe a little lowlight

Any physical constraints? Is size and weight an issue?
    yes, this is the whole reason for micro 4/3

What are your goals? Do you just want to take better pictures of friends and family? Better landscape photos? Better travel photos? Do you think you will print most of your work or just share it on a social networking site like facebook? If you plan to print, how large of prints do you want to make?
    I would like to take this up as a hobby and get better at photography in general, i wont make large prints

thanks for all help!

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Haha the most useful "what should I buy" thread I've seen - thanks for doing your homework :wink:

Going on what you've said I'd recommend the Olympus EPL2 with kit lenses (14-42 and 40-150 if you can find the twin-lens kit in your price range...).

Decent sensor, decent lenses, compact, nice build quality, and probably the most 'bang for your buck' in Micro Four Thirds...

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Nick on the E-PL2. The E-PM1 is probably also in your price range. I would consider the 17mm pancake lens kit though. It is quite a bit faster and more compact than the 14-42mm zoom lens since it's a prime, and you can easily make up that zoom range with a few steps forward or backwards. Primes are great in that standard-wide range because it doesn't take much foot movement to change the FOV drastically. I only prefer zooms in the super-telephoto range.

4. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    are any of the panasonic cameras worth looking at? is the e-pl2 or e-pm1 better?

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, the G2 is a bit of a bargain at the moment, I understand - much like the E-PL2. Neither one or the other are better, just different. Different in handling, concept and overall "look" of the images produced. Physically, the main difference of the G series is that it's slightly bigger with a built in EVF and more substantial grip, looking more like a mini DSLR rather than the Pen's resemblence to a rangefinder. Of course, Panasonic also have the GF range, which is physically more similar to the Pens.

Personally I'd go for the E-PL2 but that might not suit you at all. The best way to choose is to handle them both at a store, if possible.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    In addition to the E-PL2, check out the GF2 if you get a chance. I have seen some great prices GF2s and some bundled with the 14mm prime, which I think is a great little (okay, tiny) lens. You could always pick up a kit zoom on ebay fairly cheaply.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    One question you did not address:

Is an Electronic Viewfinder important to you?

If the answer is yes, then I'm a +1 on a Panasonic G2.

As for a lens, were I you, having just the one lens to start, I'd buy my body with the kit zoom. Oly 14-42, or if you want the EVF and go toward the G2, the Panny 14-45 or 14-42.

Cheers, Alan

8. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    so i dont really need a flash, so i was looking at the ep2, i can get it for 380 vs the 415 of the e-pl2, which should i get? i really like the build quality of the ep2, or should i just go with the epl1?

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think the epl2 is the fastest responding camera out of that list. If I couldn't be spoiled, I'd get the epl2 and save up for a new body at a later date after getting a few lenses; 2 zooms(14-54/40-150, or just 14-150), or 3 primes(12 or 14, 17 or 20, 45)

- Eliot

10. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    is the build quality of the epl2 close to the ep2?

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the E-P2 is going to feel more solid in the hand. The only flaky [:biggrin:] part of the E-P2 is the finish... there is a gun metal color paint over silver metal and the paint can easily be scratched. I would grab a silver version, if available.

12. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    so you suggest that over the e-pl2?

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't be unhappy with either. I didn't think either felt like cheap junk or anything

I wanted an epl2, then a week later the ep3 was announced. Pounced!!! Lol
    Now I want an epm1 as well, to pair with 14/17 as st photo cam only. Just cause it's so tiny. I think I'd be more brave shoving it into people's faces. Lol!
    I loooove the ep3 tho. I also want an x100. So take my advice with a grain of "wow this guys gear obsessed!" salt:)

- Eliot

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is probably a head versus heart thing here... the E-PL2 is a smarter purchase with the built-in flash, bigger/better display, lighter AA filter, and slightly faster focus. A bit better physical control on the E-P2 (one thumb wheel) and it feels and looks a bit better, IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either camera!

Next step is to find a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens. :biggrin: