1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First Macro attempt with Tamron 90mm 52BB on GX8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rmcnelly, Jan 4, 2016.

1. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    First attempt at Macro (and barely useable shot). Vintage Tamron SP90 52BB on my GX8 (180mm equivalent), 1:2 ratio, handheld at 1/15 sec, ISO 3200, in windy conditions near dusk. I don't remember the aperture. The wind kept blowing it around. I think I'm gonna like this lens. I set the GX8 to shoot without a lens, and enabled stabilization and set it for 90mm. I assume it helped when the shutter fired but otherwise made no visible effect which was disappointing. I wish you could have stabilization active when half pressing the shutter as it would greatly help in this situation. Even though this pic is not sharp (both movement of the plant and from me trying to handhold this), I'm super excited to start trying Macro. I also got a Minolta MC Macro Rokkor QF 50mm 1:3.5 macro + the 1:1 extender, but have to get really close compared to the 90mm.

24072430032_f6d4805d60_b. First Macro by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Consider your lighting. For macro, the light is just as important as the lens itself. The Tamron 90mm f2.5 adaptall is a very capable lens. One that I've owned for a very long time. I typically start at f/11 with a macro ring or hand held flash. You will need a lot of light for adequate DOF. Focus ring is set to the magnification I wish to achieve and focus is obtained by shifting the focal plane forward and backwards.

Keep on at it... Macro is lots of fun. I wish I had more posted online but the Tamron makes for a great lens for water droplets.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6928604391_c4dc6c6337_b.jpg

3. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Stunning pic!

I'm looking forward to learning more. The adaptor just arrived and I ran outside to try a shot. I'll plan on a well lit, tripod shot when time and the weather cooperate.

4. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro