First m43 to focus peek?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Highgrovemanor, May 25, 2012.

1. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Father finally viewing a video of Sony's focus peeking in action, and seeing the new Pentax dslr has it....makes me want to ask when we'll see more similar (if not the same) features to support the m43 love of legacy glass.

Do realize my g1 and gf1 don't see tons of action, and I am just now starting to keep an eye out for next gen. It sounds like alot of people currently have success with MF, but I'm wondering what may be coming. I remember my split prism days from shooting high school yearbook, and want to see more than just zooming the image for MF.

2. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    I can honestly tell you after having tried to shoot legacy lenses on with various dslr's(C&N) there is nothing like m43 in my humble opinion.

Lens recommendation the Olympus OM Zuiko f/1.8, its an oldie but goodie. I've tried in all my m43 bodies and in my opinion it performs best on the Oly bodies due to the IBIS. Cheers and good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I find I can successfully MF with the Oly VF2 generally without MF assist, but can't do it from the G3 EVF or any LCD, at least without assist.
  4. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    Yea, with so many native m43 lenses now available, its probably not a priority for pan-oly. I've just a couple of Nikon lenses left over from my FE2 back in the film if I had zillion of dollars of Leica or Zeis lens I would probably have another opinion. But it is alittle disappointing given the various adapters available.

Thanks for chiming in!
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It's a simple matter of firmware. The fact that it hasn't appeared yet suggests to me that it is unlikely ever be implemented. A pity, but I suppose they'd rather encourage sales of new lenses than help people use their existing ones.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm surprised with Panasonic's video emphasis that they don't have it at least on the GH series. I have it on my Canon T3i + ML hack, and it's a great tool.