First m43 Print!

Real Name
Jeff
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I’m not sure where this belongs, so I will leave this here, along with a little intro.

Life happened and I took a long break (6 years) from photography. Sold most of my camera gear (both Nikon and Canon) at the time and then last December I decided to pick it back up. I started reading about m43 system and was immediately intrigued!

After owning the Panasonic G85, I picked up an Olympus OM-D and fell in love with the little retro looking camera body, sold the G85 and I ended up with the E5MII and of course a bunch of lenses.

A month ago I decided I wanted a moody b&w photo to hang above the fireplace. I had an idea of what I wanted and with the recent storms, it was a perfect time.

Two weeks ago, I shot this photo in La Jolla and was very happy with the results, especially since I’m pretty new to landscape. I searched the net for framing and was surprised about the prices. I ended up with a 20x30, matted and framed for under $100, which wasn’t too bad and the frame, matte, and glastic quality is so-so. My only gripe is I think I could have gone a bit bigger.

I’m extremely happy with the image that the little OMD produced. It looks fantastic printed out! I hope to print more large photos from this system.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just skip my babbling and look at the photo . Taken on an iPhone 6s by my SO, sorry for the crappy image...I think she needs an upgrade!

Last edited:
Real Name
Jeff
Here is the cross-post and comments of the photo above.
---
Hospitals Reef, La Jolla, CA - 3/3/2018

The stormy clouds have been putting me in a b&w mood lately. I'm pretty new to landscape photography and love b&w photos. I also found out my cable release was semi-waterproof after dropping it in the water and still working.

Shot with my Olympus EM5MKII, Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 @ f/8 for 94 seconds, iso 200.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20180303-la-jolla-hospitals-010-3x2-logo.jpg by Jeff Bender, on Flickr

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
I feel I'm looking out at a mysterious planet that I just landed on after the blast debri from my landing rockets has finally cleared :flypig:

Great shot!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Nah, you must've done something wrong. You can't print big with m43, noise is always an issue, and the E-M5 II is in desperate need of an update with it's old 16MP sensor.

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
Great shot!

I've printed and framed 8 of my m43 photos at 20x30 now. 6 are on my walls, and 2 I have given as gifts, They all look great IMHO, 16MP is quite enough to print that size.

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Jeff that was a great idea, the results are stupendous! You didn’t have to go and find a picture at a home decor shop you made it yourself. Welcome back to photography and we are glad you are one of us!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very nice shot. I love how your black and white actually has blacks in it. Many digital "Black & White" shots I see I feel are just a lot of grey tones with no real blacks nor white in them, which is what gives them their punch I think. Without that contrast going on, those shots should be called "bunch of greys".

Real Name
Jeff
Nah, you must've done something wrong. You can't print big with m43, noise is always an issue, and the E-M5 II is in desperate need of an update with it's old 16MP sensor.
Honestly, I did some sharpening and forgot to run it through noise reduction before sending it to the printer. I was a little worried, but it when I received the photo, you couldn't even tell. I can't wait to print something bigger in size!

Great shot!

I've printed and framed 8 of my m43 photos at 20x30 now. 6 are on my walls, and 2 I have given as gifts, They all look great IMHO, 16MP is quite enough to print that size.
Thanks! I totally agree! I can't wait to print more!!

Real Name
Jeff
Jeff that was a great idea, the results are stupendous! You didn’t have to go and find a picture at a home decor shop you made it yourself. Welcome back to photography and we are glad you are one of us!
Thanks Santa! Love the photo...lol! We just purchased this house last year and the walls are pretty bare, I'm very happy to put something above the fireplace that I shot.

Real Name
Jeff
Very nice shot. I love how your black and white actually has blacks in it. Many digital "Black & White" shots I see I feel are just a lot of grey tones with no real blacks nor white in them, which is what gives them their punch I think. Without that contrast going on, those shots should be called "bunch of greys".
I didn't know much about processing black and white photos, before I mainly shot portraiture and sports. After many hours of learning about b&w, long exposure, and luminosity masks, I learned a little bit. There should be a solid black and white point... I think I got that. With the luminosity masks, I tweaked my color LMs to give me more depth in the shades. I also took two shots, one for the clouds and one for the foreground, then blended them using LMs. Also, used Nik Silver Efexs to get my base b&w look, then tweaked it from there.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I might need a bigger house with more walls! Or start creating albums or something.
Exactly that. I've already run out of wall space and have moved on to photobooks. It's a very different experience - the process of selecting, sequencing and laying out (recropping if necessary) of images in a book format to tell a bit of a story is a lot more time consuming but ultimately very rewarding. Touching and flipping through a photobook in your hands also adds a tactile experience not possible with framed images on a wall.

Last edited:
Real Name
Jeff
Exactly that. I've already run out of wall space and have moved on to photobooks. It's a very different experience - the process of selecting, sequencing and laying out (recropping if necessary) of images in a book format to tell a bit of a story is a lot more time consuming but ultimately very rewarding. Touching and flipping through a photobook in your hands also adds a tactile experience not possible with framed images on a wall.
I would like to do this next. I'm curious on who you like and have used in the past? I've really only used MPix and WHCC in the past, WHCC was always my go to for most products. I'm sure a lot has changed now. Thanks.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have tried various photo book places but usually never end up finishing anything let along ordering anything because I find most of the online photo book makers' layout tools to be very frustrating to use.

My dream photo maker would allow me to make simply old fashioned photo album type books where all I do is upload 200 shots and they get placed in order at roughly 4x6 size with no fancy layout, just like old photo albums used to be. Ya a bit boring, but I would love to simply get the bulk of my shots at least printed up and available for the family to be able to look through. Then when I had the inclination, do one of the more fancy story-book type photo books when I was willing to spend the time fussing for days over 80 shots to get them just right.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom