First M43 Portrait Session - one gripe

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Darcy M, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I am converting to M43. I only have 1 body for now EM1.1. This session was my first M43 session which included a small complement of my Godox eq. Lenses used 40-150mm and 12-40 PRO. Overall it went very well.

I did have one gripe and afterwards I have not figured out how to avoid it.

The dial around the trigger of my olympus EM1.1 was bumped many times as I am very mobile and interactive when shooting, plus I must have fat fingers. Once I locked my settings down, I really had no way to lock them and sure enough I had shot 3 sequences with increased exposure. I think 1/3 of the session was garbage.

Following the session, I looked for ways to lock that dial, but there doesn't seem to be a way. Any advice?

On a positive note, the G9 I have on order has the dial away from the shutter button, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Feedback on my issue and the photos welcome.
    2018 New Years Day Shoot. 2018 New Years Day Shoot-3. 2018 New Years Day Shoot-4. 2018 New Years Day Shoot-5. 2018 New Years Day Shoot-6.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    The function of that dial can be modifed, though I'm not sure it can be disabled. I'm away from my camera atm, but will have a look at the menu in the morning.

3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Electrical tape over the dial. It may be a lo-fi solution but it's foolproof on any camera.

Those kids are adorable! The only thing I'd advise is to get the camera lower and your subjects further away from the wall.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Great tip. So simple, i never thought of that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Very nice images. What were you using for lighting & modifiers?

Regarding the camera, as Giiba said, you can change the function of the dial, but I do not believe you can disable it. Also, unlike DSLRs, there is no way to "lock" the settings so that they do you change on you. Short of some DIY fix (like taping the dial, which I'm still not convinced would work), you'll just have to double-check your exposure settings in the EVF prior to shooting.

The good news, as you said, is that the G9 doesn't have an adjustment dial located around the shutter button, so this shouldn't be an issue for you with that camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Tape might be the best bet... you can reassign the dial, but I suspect that changing iso or white balance would be worse.

You'll get used to the dial. I personally really like it's location as it gives me quick access to exposure compensation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Such a simple solution, I never would have thought it. Thanks!

I like the dial where it is for all my shooting except strobe work where I meter everything and get it setup to the point where nothing should change but my subjects.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yep, has happened to me a few times. Luckily, I only shifted the exposure .3 or .7 one way or the other, which was recoverable. I've just gotten into the habit of looking at the exposure values in the viewfinder quickly before going from one shot to the next.

A bit of a pain, but...meh...it's that or the tape suggestion...which is one other reason I always have a small roll of gaffers in my lighting bag.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    You could enable highlight+shadow display. That way if you knock the dial one way or another the prevalence of red or blue on the screen should alert you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Only if they clip, which is a good thing to know...but I find exposure consistency for these kinds of shoots is more important so I am not processing from scratch each individual image. Still, it is a good suggestion and I didn't think about that because I always have mine on. :D

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yes, gaffer's tape is much preferable to electrical. Electrical tape will leave a gummy residue which is a pain to clean off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You are getting help with your camera issue, but if I may mention that the background is very distracting from the otherwise really nice results. A seamless background would have really kicked these photos up a notch.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think you are worrying a bit too much : you know the reason the exposures got messed up and your subconscious mind will/should stop your fat fingers doing it next time.

Good luck! :2thumbs:

(an e-pm2 has almost no buttons so ... buy one cheap and see how it goes, with a better sensor than your E-M1 too. win-win)

14. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I would have to agree with @gryphon1911@gryphon1911 on this one. Once I lock my settings in and have all strobes set, I want nothing to change but my clients.

15. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I agree, seamless would have been great and a color more complimentary and not as similar to their outfits. Unfortunately for this shoot, I was a long way from my studio, it was a last minute booking and I had to shoot with what I had with me.

In hind sight, I should have taken a photo of the whole setup. I had only 1 strobe, 1 stand, 30" beauty dish with diffuse and a manual flash. I borrowed a bed sheet to drape over the TV that was Camera right to bounce back some light from the strobe which was camera left.

16. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    A wired or wireless remote might be a solution. And/or save your settings in a MySet once you are happy with them and select that before shooting every sequence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    Yes, but I rarely use a tripod in a session.

18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Not much use for a remote, then. Do you have a bottom plate on your E-M1? I just tried to see if I can knock the front dial on mine with my middle finger and the finger placement is much better with the bottom plate. I have a cheap RRS knock-off from eBay which works well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Darcy M

Darcy M Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2017
    St. Albert, Alberta
    I'm also using a battery grip. So now there are 3 dials to tape. :doh:

20. dglawton

dglawton Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 16, 2017
    Don
    What does AEL do?