First M4/3 - G6 plus 14-140 for £750 or E-PL5 14-150 & 17mm for £660

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Mark w, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mark w

Mark w New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2013

I'm looking to buy my first M4/3 camera, upgrading from a canon SX230HS and would like some of your experienced thoughts on which camera to buy.

I'm wanting to included a large focal range and I think having one lens would suit me better than doing a two lens option for most of my photography.

I have narrowed it down to a Panasonic G6 with 14-140 which will cost me £750 or an Olympus E-pl5 with 14-150 and a free 17mm prime costing £660.

I would appreciate any thoughts on which is the better camera and value?

I'm also looking to purchase a camera for my father birthday. Again it will be his first M4/3, require something easy to use and decent picture. currently considering G5, GF6 or E-PM2 all for around £350, any thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you to all who reply.
  2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Both the G6 and EPL-5 are very good cameras ( just have a look at some of the images on this forum) but the handling is very different between them. You may want to handle them yourself before you decide.

Both will take a bit of time to get them "set" so that you do not have to keep referring back to the menus (and possibly the manual). Olympus camera menus are not straight forward and Panasonic manuals are "poor" (this is the polite version!!).

So far. 50:50

What you want/need then enters the equation:
    Viewfinder - panasonic (available as an optional extra on Oly)
    Smaller size - olympus, DSLR style handling panasonic
    Built in flash - panasonic, flexible remote control of external flash -olympus
    Slightly more consistent white balance Olympus.
    Better video options - panasonic
    Etc. etc

Obviously only you can decide which better suits your requirements as both will be a significant improvement from your P&S.

I don't have any direct experience of either of the two lenses and others may be better placed to advise if one if these could sway the decision either way but the option of a compact lens option (I presume this would be the pancake f2.8 version) with the slight improvement in low light capability this would give would be tempting unless you need the viewfinder which adding this cost would take the cost above the Pana.

On the second camera I would go with G5/GF6 if you buy the G6 (you really don't want to learn two menu systems do you?) but the EPM-2 probably just edges the other two on the overall image quality.
  3. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    I've never owned a G6 but I have owned a G5 and E-PM2. Now I was coming from a dSLR background and had the SLR as my Primary camera so I ended up getting rid of the G5 for the smaller more portable E-PM2. The G5 was just too close in size to my smaller dSLR bodies. Having said that, If I did not have the OM-D or my Nikons and I was using it as my primary body I would go with the Panasonic. From a features perspective it does and has just about everything you need in one package. From a handling perspective it is much more like a SLR with more dedicated buttons, rear control dial, and the front zoom toggle which acts like a 2nd control wheel as I used it for exposure compensation. It's a wonderful handling camrea, as good as any camera I've used. Far superior comfort/handling than my E-PM2 or OM-D IMHO. Video recording and flip out screen were better as well.
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Personally I would not get a body without an eye level finder, Now in your position I would be tempted to go for something older like a G3. This would leave the funds to get either the 17mm 1.7 or the Panasonic20mm 1.7 as well as the super zoom, then if you want to upgrade the cam later you can. I think the G5 can be had for a lot less than the G6 too and that may be another option, The Olympus are nice cameras I have the original E-p1 but find the lack of evf a hinderance.
  5. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    I have an E-PL5 and it's a great camera. The IBIS means you can use all m4/3 lenses to take a stabilised shot with or without stabilisation in the lens.
  6. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I have the g6 and chose it for the amount of external control, comfortable handling, and unbeatable feature set. Also, just to address a point made earlier, even though the G6 has a built in flash, it also has wireless control for external flashes.