First Light Photographs/Filming - GH3 f/2.8 12-35mm

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by mcmood, Jun 5, 2014.

1. mcmood

mcmood New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2014
    Hi guys,

I am newbie to filming and photography. So I was hoping for some urgent help. Tonight (in 3 hours or so) I am going to go out in the middle of the night to the coast to film the first light across the horizon (Usually around 1am till 4am in the UK). I have a few questions I hope some of the experts on this forum could please advise me on!

Note: I only have a GH3 and 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. (I also have a cheap 35mm cctv lens f/1.7 in my bag).

Aim: To get accurate pictures of the first threads of light across the horizon (looking out into the sea). I don't want to falsely expose the picture so that the camera picks up light that I cannot really see with my own eyes. So a picture with a true reflection of the reality as opposed to an artistic pleasing picture.

Q1: Should I film this 3-4 hours or take a a series of photographs every 30 seconds in a sort of timelapse?

Q2: If I film this - What settings do you recommend?

Q3: If I photograph these every 30 seconds - What settings would you recommend?

I realllly reallly do appreciate your advice as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance
    Mac

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Does the GH3 have time lapse mode or is that just on later models?

3. mcmood

mcmood New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2014
    Yes it does have time-lapse I believe...

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I guess your first step is to decide if you want to film it, create a time lapse, or take photographs. I don't know what you are going for so I can't really answer that.

The sensor has less dynamic range and in most ways, behaves differently than your eye. Photography and video are both inherently "inaccurate" in dynamic range, color etc. You can get close, but no picture or video reflects reality (which is subjective anyways).

The best way to learn is to just jump in. And you should know that getting 5-10% keepers from your photographs is OK (and pretty typical). You will take a lot of bad photos. Learn the basics of the exposure triangle (aperture, shutter, and ISO) and jump in.