first lense... 20 f1.7 or 45 f.18

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cloudpost, Jan 20, 2012.

1. cloudpost

cloudpost New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2012
    Hey Mu-43 my birthday is coming up and i want to purchase a new lens for the occasion. i bought my epl2 last year with the 14-42 kit lens and have enjoyed learning how to use an advanced camera. in the course of the year.

I find that I shoot mostly indoors so i would need a faster lens then what i have now. I am torn between the panny 20mm 1.7 or the 45 f1.8. They are both around the same price on amazon.

What do you suggest mu-43. i know the 45 f.18 is a little newer so hopefully people with experience with it can chime in!

edit: i will eventually have them both! its just a matter of which one i get first!
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    They are both wonderful lenses, but my rule of thumb is 20 indoors, 45 outdoors. 45 is just too long inside a house.
  3. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I concur with Promit. Rememeber that the 20mm 1.7 is a pancake lens. So it is smaller
    in size compare to the 45mm.
  4. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It comes down to your personal preferences

I have an E-PL2 like you and both the 20mm f/1.7 and the 45mm f/1.8. In my experience both lenses are excellent and work very well with the E-PL2. Several people have reported problems with low-light focusing of the 20mm on newer Olympus PENs, but not on the E-PL2 as far as I know.

I do not think that you can say that one lens is better than the other. It comes down to which is the better lens for you. I use the 20mm more than the 45mm, both because I like that focal length better and because of the 20mm being a pancake lens.

My best advice would be to take a look at the EXIF data of your photos. Which focal lengths do you use the most (in particular for indoor shots)? If you mostly use the 42mm end of your 14-42mm lens, you would probably be best off with the 45mm. Otherwise the 20mm is most likely the better choice.
  5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    first?... i'd say 20/f1.7

i find the 45mm not suitable for indoors as well and it took me
    quite a while to getting use to the distance; even outdoor for
    streets or urbans.
  6. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    20/1.7 for first lens.
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Everyone else had mentioned it already, but I thought I will chime in as well. 45mm is not suitable for indoor unless all you shoot is portrait. I'd get the 20mm first. It is much more versatile, whether indoor or outdoor. In fact, I started off with an E-PL1 + 14-150mm and the 20mm, and they served me well until all these new primes came out...
  8. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    20mm for sure. I use mine 90% of the time
  9. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    20/1.7: I have it with my G3 and this combo fits in a large pocket.
  10. Wormwood

Wormwood Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I have the 20 which I bought from the forum here - has been a perfect lens and I am double glad that I did go the second hand route.

I am goin got pick up the 45 in a few weeks or so and cannot wait for it but I am also by happy with the 20. I haven't really used my kit lens at all due to the 20.

11. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    The 20 is pretty much glued to my camera. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am a great fan of Olympus 45mm 1.8 but as first lens I would go for Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 or as a matter of fact why not 14 mm 2.5?
  13. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    It depends. Have a look at what focal lengths you use when you shoot indoors (it's all in the EXIF information that your camera automatically includes with each file it writes to the card). Then pick the one that is closest to that. They're both wonderful lenses, you cannot buy wrong... as long as it's a focal length that you will use.

20mm f/1.7, in really poor light:

45mm f/1.8, in much better light:

Both lenses are more than up to the task. Choose the one you need! :smile:
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    the 20mm is one one of the most versatile focal length... sits in between 35mm and 50mm on the 35mm format. i'll pick this one first. :biggrin:
  15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yep another vote for the 20mm. At a bar in Lauterbrunnen (CH) low light, iso 800

<a href="" title="P1140199 by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="684" alt="P1140199"></a>​
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    what is that? :biggrin:
  17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Vodka Liqueur Shots. Ran the pub dry that night- (Topdeck Holiday)

I kept myself out of it, hence the sharp picture:)
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I would rather have the 45mm first. Every one else suggesting the 20 must be wrong. :smile:

I also plan on having both. I'll probably get whichever one shows up used at a good price when I have the cash available.

You might try setting your zoom to 20mm and leaving it there for a day or two. Do the same at 42mm. Use a very high ISO if you have to. Use each focal length without resorting to the zoom, then decide.

19. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    That is why I suggested the OP first figure out what focal length he/she prefers. Your suggestion is a good one:

20. cloudpost

cloudpost New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2012
    wow thanks for the quick reply... this is a really active forum!

I will check out my past photos to see what focal length im using, but i'll prob get the 20 f1.7.