1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First lens

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Phillip, May 26, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    wales
    Hi,

Have switched from a Nikon D3100 to the Olympus EM10 which will be arriving this week as wanted to use a lighter camera. The only lens I currently use on my camera is the Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX lens which has an equivalent focal length of of 52.5mm.

Take a lot of landscape photos but also tend to take photos of flowers and nature. Have ordered the 14-42 kit lens with the camera but never really liked the kit lens on the nikon as the images were't sharp on it compared the 35mm prime.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fixed prime lens? Would ideally be only looking to get one and a lens on a budget. Currently the olympus 45mm would be in my budget and the image quality looks brilliant but unsure whether the focal length would be suitable. Other lenses such as the panasonic 20mm/olympus 25mm etc. seem excellent quality but are significantly more expensive.

My flickr url is https://www.flickr.com/photos/128094957@N07/ for examples of my photos.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Unless you found some deal somewhere, the P20 is less expensive than the O45 (US prices).

3. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    wales
    Thanks for your reply, sorry should have clarified I live in the UK and currently the 45mm is one of the cheapest lenses you can get and also has cashback at the moment, it is only a bit more expensive than the sigma 19mm and 30mm.

4. psknapp

psknapp Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Based on your pictures, the Panny 20 makes more sense. Or the Oly 25, which has an equivalent focal length of 50mm.

There's also the Sigma options (19mm, 30mm, 60mm), with lower cost, slower (all are F2.8), but still very good. I have all 3 and they are very good budget options.

5. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    wales
    Thank you for the advice, glad you recommend the sigma 19mm/30mm as have been unsure whether they would be good options. Have been looking at reviews of the 19mm/30mm and there aren't many youtube videos to see what people think of them. Will definitely consider them now.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Not many cheap options, you could look for a used P20 or O25. The 45 is quite different from the lens you have now, you can make a test using the kit zoom.

The P20 on Oly bodies has quite a "slow" AF. Not a deal breaker for most people but some sold it just for this reason (lot of threads on this issue here). I have one on the E-M10 and never had problems. And you can't beat the size.

Have a look here too: https://www.mu-43.com/forums/80/

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In that case you should buy it immediately! I paid £220 and I'm still happy.
    You may also find that the standard Olympus kit zoom is plenty sharp enough.

8. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    wales
    Have read that most people love the 45mm lens and have been close to getting it but the only thing that holding me back is that I take a lot of landscape /nature shots and not sure if the focal length would work with it?

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Well, it depends on how much you want/need to get into a single shot. I take mostly garden/nature shots and I use the 45mm all the time. I find that it is great for whole plant "portraits" and small vignettes and you can create some interesting depth of field effects. Here are a few examples that might help you:

14345282173_e6decde05a_b.
    campanulas, miscanthus 'Morning Light' and nigella along the garden path

14425868173_dd9ae4f9a5_b.
    Salvia greggii at the birdbath

15457228071_2e89f36a58_b.
    fall feathers

14405699155_1f0954d740_b.
    lily 'Montenegro'

• Like Like x 5
  10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Can I suggest you wait a while before buying another lens?

Spend a few days with the kit zoom.

One day with the zoom set just at it's widest (14mm), one day with it just set in the middle (~25mm) and one day with at max telephoto (42mm). Then decide:-
    a, do you need a prime or will the kit zoom meet your requirements?
    b, if no, which of the three days/settings did you have the most fun with. This may point you in the right direction. I have the Oly 25 and Oly 45 both are good optically and are nice handling and the extra low light performance can be a help.
    c, also consider the Oly 40-150mm to go with the 14-42 it performs way above it's price and would give a much larger range of options for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    wales
    Thank you for taking the time to share those photos with me WendyK, they are absolutely stunning and definitely show how amazing the image quality is with the 45mm lens.

That will probably be the wisest thing for me to do and would help me to understand the types of shots the different focal lengths can achieve. I think coming from using a 'bad' kit lens from the nikon's dslr has affected how I see kit lenses and this makes me want to get a prime lens but I will definitely see what the kit lens is like before making any decision!

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would echo the suggestion to spend some time with your kit lens, the 14-42 is a nice lens. You may also want to review your existing photographs and see what focal length(s) you have used most. I would suggest thinking of primes in pairs, or threes (trinity). There are only a few primes that can live on your camera by themselves, in m4/3 they tend to be the O17, P20, or O/P25. The O17 f/1.8 lives on my O-MD but I almost always carry the O45 along with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

25mm f1.8 is the closest equivalent to the Nikon 35mm f1.8. With the different sensor sizes they will give identical view.

45mm is much longer. It is like 60mm on a Nikon.

You can get the 25mm used or grey market for under $300 easily.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    If you like the focal length and are on a budget then for sure the lens you want is the Olympus 25/1.8. It's under $300. If you were shooting the Nikon 35/1.8 @f1.8 and liked the background blur, you'll want the Panasonic 25/1.4. It's more money though and not as small. The 20 is a great lens but wider. The 45 (or Panasonic 42) are great as well but might be long for your needs.

15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I have the 20 and the 45, both lenses it sounds like you're considering. I have more fun using the 45, but the 20 is probably more useful and IMO probably the perfect size for the EM10.

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Welcome to the forum and your landscapes are fantastic! The 45 is an awesome lens but not sure how well it will do with landscapes. You will have much tighter framing, it excels at portraiture however. I'd suggest shooting with the kit lens for now, you'd be surprised how decent they are for m4/3. Save up a little and get the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 or even the Pana-Leica 15mm f1.7. Happy shooting!

17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Panoramas are so easy now, the 45 is a a great option. With the slight focus sluggishness and inaccuracy reported by many about the Pany 20, maybe the Oly 25 would be a good option. It can be frustrating and discouraging to miss shots due to focus problems. Not going to be an issue with landscapes, but will be in street photography, or catching your kids at play.

Full disclosure....I own the Oly 45, but not the Pany 20, or oly 25. Have read many reviews and video reviews of both since I'm considering them, so my statement is based on an accumulation of themes from those reviews, not personal experience. The Oly 45 focus is virtually instantaneous and anything less would be a nuisance that will cost a shot now and then. With the kids, that's a big deal for me.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Personally I think the "sluggishness" of the Panasonic 20 on the EM10 is a bit overstated, at least for my uses.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    +1 Beautiful landscapes. Where is that hill with the lake at the bottom and the border collie on the ridge?

20. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    On the contrary, it is by far the slowest AF lens I have used to date on the E-M10...cracking images though. :)

• Agree Agree x 1