First Lens Purchase

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by broken.axe, Aug 5, 2015.

1. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    First time posting here, so hello everybody!

So I recently picked up a EM5 from another member here, for a killer price. But it was for the body only, and honestly that's all I could afford at the time.

I'm looking for a good general purpose lens (or a couple budget lenses) to make my kit as versatile as possible. I mainly shoot landscapes, with the occasional street/architecture scene. So I like something that's wide.

After some research, I found that I could get the kit lens (14-42) and a 40-150 for around ~$100 each. Which would be at the low end of what I was expecting to spend. And I was also thinking of picking up the fisheye lens for S&G's.

Or should I buck up and get the Panny 20 and 14mm lenses for a little more.

Am I missing any other options? Are there better budget alternatives?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 12-50 is not very compact, but certainly wins for versatility on a budget. It goes out to 12mm, is a bit longer than kit lenses at 50mm. Does near 1:2 macro It's weather sealed, too, since you have an E-M5. They are under $200 used and sometimes much cheaper if you are lucky.

On the other end of the size spectrum, there is the 12-32mm pancake zoom.

You could also get a 14mm f2.5 prime and add a GWC1 wide converter to it for 11mm f2.5, too.

As far as budget primes in the normal range, Sigma 19mm or 30mm, Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 25mm are all pretty inexpensive, especially used.

Kit lens is fine, but not as wide as you may want. I personally feel like the Panasonic 14-42 II is the budget kit lens to get, if you are going to go that route. Also, why a 40-150mm when you say you like wide? Save it for later and cover your most used stuff now with a little better lens or two.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had my E-M10 since last December and still only have the kit zooms. They have been decent enough to learn the camera, and I have added some legacy glass to add some options. I don't think you can go wrong with the kit lenses if that is what your budget allows.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use my 12-40 a lot for landscape work...but it's not cheap. The alternate would be the 12-32, which can be had for around 180 used (if you are patient). The kit lenses are nice, but I really dislike 14mm. This probably goes back to the years I spent using a 12-60 lens.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You could get an Olympus 17mm f2.8 lens for 120-130 USD and keep your overall package nice and light. I actually like the 17mm a little more than the 14mm in the rendering and contrast. Also I've found the 20mm lens a little slower on my EM10 than it is on my GM5.

6. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I had two kit zooms from both Olympus(14-42 II R) and Panasonic(14-42 II), and they both were very good. They have never disappointed me with their results. I preferred Panasonic one due to its convenience. While Olympus zoom needs to be pronged before shooting, Panasonic one can shoot immediately. Not a big deal, but matters when one shoots on the street.

I think Panasonic 14-42 II lens suits your requirements. It covers most useful range(14~42mm) and has very good image quality across the zoom range(typical flattering words for zoom lens but it really is).
    It's slower than prime lenses, but you may want to stop down it when you shooting landscape anyway.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'm sending the op a pm!

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    12-50 is weather sealed like the E-M5 and has 24-100mm angle of view and a handy macro feature. It's also priced so you could buy one and sell it later for close to the same money. There's nothing wrong with the 14-42 / 40-150 combo, I just like wider than 14mm

For cheaper pancake primes, the Panasonic 14 and 20 are nice and about the same from a pricing stand point as the 12-50 (you could buy and sell for about the same $$). The 20 is sharp and fast at f/1.7 though AF is slow by m4/3 standards. The 14 is slower at f/2.5 but it's tiny and fast AF. And Panasonic has a nice wide converter design specifically for the 14 (and the Pan 14-42 at 14mm) that works well making it 11.5mm, not bad.

The third area I would consider is either the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 or Sigma 60mm f/2.8. The 45 is a nice and fast 90mm AOV and is maybe the example of very good small and light m4/3 glass. It's a 90mm AOV that weights 4.1 ounces. The Sigma is not as light or as fast as the 45, but it's one of the sharper options even wide open and for under $200 is a good deal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    I'm not too worried about the "compactness" of my kit. I'm used to 20lb+ rucks/hikes. Plus I'm coming from lugging around a T3i with a kit lens, along with a 17-40mm zoom lens. So the EM5 weighs like nothing to me.

The 12-50mm looks like it could be a good all around lens, and for ~$200. (as a side note, does Olympus not believe in lens hoods? lol)

Seeing as the Sigma (as recommended to me by someone on Reddit) is ~$100 used I think I'll go with that. Although I would love something that's faster that f/2.8, I think that would do just fine. For now at least.

And I was thinking the 40-150mm because I have never had a lens that could go to that range. And I figured for another $100 it couldn't hurt to have it. (I like the saying "it's better to have [insert object here] and not need it, than need [object] and not have it")

10. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    I'm interested in this whole legacy glass option. (I'll admit I had to google it)

Cause I'm sure I could pick up some damn wide, and damn fast lenses, and they probably won't be expensive at all.

11. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    The 12-32 does look interesting...

And would you mind explaining to me why you hate 14mm?

12. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    Maybe you can answer the question I've run across, with Olympus having the IS in body, and Panasonic having IS in the lens, would I have to shut one IS system off? Or would the corporate with each other?

13. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    14mm is too tight in certain situations. I live near some large dunes and rolling landscapes and 14mm just can't caputure the whole image without having to tile images. The extra 2 mm actually makes a huge difference. I used to own the Olympus 7-14 f4, and found that the most frequently used focal length was around 9-10mm. The wider you go, the more interesting the sky gets.

14. DoofClenas

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Yes, since you have the em5, shut the lens IS off.

15. broken.axe

broken.axe Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2015
    Okay! That's what I figured.

16. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Wide legacy lenses are not common. Around 19-20 to 24mm is about as wide as you will find.

Really, as long as you are okay with manual focus, getting a couple of standard legacy lenses is a no-brainer. A nifty-fifty and/or a 35mm is cheap, even with an adapter. It is a great option to add to your bag for little money.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    As TNcasual stated wide and fast legacy lenses are hard to find. 24mm f/2.8 lens counted as fast wide lens for legacy standard, but it turns into mediocre normal lens on micro 4/3 camera. Otherwise you can get fast tele lenses at affordable price, but I'd recommend 45mm f/1.8 for the needs.

18. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    many people take the "normal" prime as their first non-kit lens.

I'd recommend you take a look at Oly 25mm f1.8 or 17mm f1.8, depending on preferences (50mm or 35mm equivalents). Add the Samyang fisheye to that and you're golden.

Panny 20mm has terrible AF on Oly bodies. The 14mm is a good lens, and many people have it as a wide, pancake like lens. I don't like it, because it's only slightly faster than the kit zoom which also goes to 14mm.

If you don't mind them not being faster, Sigma 19mm, 30mm and 60mm are terrific lenses, for very little money.

19. lahsrah

lahsrah Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    Panasonic 20mm F1.7. It was my first MFT lens (well I also had an Olympus kit lens but never used it). Its still my most favourite lens in the system. The 20mm on a GM1 is essentially why I am a MFT shooter. Small, fast, sharp and light!