First leaked picture of the Olympus OM-D! ;-)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well not the official photo, but something I made in Photoshop! :biggrin::tongue:

After putting this together, I think this might actually be a cool looking camera! Can't wait to see the real thing. :smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Nice PS work! I think it looks very good indeed! It would be a killer if they could somehow make the EVF tiltable like the VF-2/3... :rolleyes:
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hopefully the real thing will have the lens pointed straight forward instead of slightly down.:tongue:
    Actually it is a pretty good photochop but the lens is at a slightly different angle than the body.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, I only spent like 10 minutes on this photochop! :biggrin:
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

you forgot the Shoe on top
  6. davidw

davidw New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2012
    holiday in Hong Kong
    is that a manual aperture ring as well ??
  7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Ok.. now I'm starting to think such a camera would be nice to have :smile: and I wasn't exactly thinking that early when they 1st announced it. If it looks half as nice as that PS rendering... hmmm... too bad there isn't an improvement on the sensor though.
  9. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    According to the new rumor it will have tweaked 16mp sensor. Most likely from panasonic.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nothing kills my enthusiasm for a rumor like seeing the word "tweaked" in relation to a sensor. At least it doesn't say "tweaked 12MP sensor" :rolleyes:.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I'm coming from a G3 users perspective, so bear with me.

I'd still like the EVF on the left hand top corner and not for purely cosmetic reasons. On the G3 at least, when using the center mounted built in EVF (most of the time I shoot with it), I find it difficult to use the buttons on the back right hand side of the camera since my face is pressed up against it. I know if the EVF was on the left side, I wouldn't have any issues hitting buttons with the camera against my face.

I have never held an E-P1, 2 or 3 body as no stores around here carry them. Does anyone have this issue when using the clip-on finder with the PEN series?

But I am excited for this new Oly camera... the only reason I haven't bought an Oly over Pany was lack of built in EVF.
  12. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Top left hand corner! That's the proper place for a viewfinder! If it's good enough for a Trip 35 it should be good enough for these new fangled contraptions :biggrin:
    I have to say the G3 has so little body left of the finder I don't object to it as much as I dislike dlsr style cameras.
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Jonathan, nice pic. I'd buy one! ;)
  14. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    Besides the handling issues I described previously, I do wish the EVF didn't stick out of the back so far. I know that the EVF provides a large view, so I'm not sure it's feasible to make it less long (front to back) or not.

Other than that, I'm loving the G3, minus a few handling issues. I still would like a more solidly built body with a built in EVF about the size of a PEN or a little bigger. That's why I'm hoping Oly does right with the OM-D.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have no problem with the Panasonic 16mp sensor. In fact I think that will do just fine! If Olympus applies the same image processing they do to the current 12mp sensor, it will be perfect! The 16mp sensor tends to hold up to 1600 ISO pretty well and is usable at 3200 ISO. Add in IBIS with the extra stops of hand-held shooting, and you should be able to shoot in some pretty dark conditions!

I'm also fine with having a centered EVF, I like shooting portrait oriented shots and I think a left leaning EVF wouldn't work well shooting like that.

I do wonder if they will improve AF though?
  16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Jonathan, great to see you've retained the shutter speed dial around the lens throat! Realistically, that could be a nice big control dial that can be toggled between shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation. Wouldn't care if it had the very same sensor as the E-P3 (12mp is oodles) but the burning issue for me is PDAF to allow use of existing 4/3 lenses with no loss of focussing performance.
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    @Jonathan - Can you please make sure there's peaking for MF assist? Side hinged swivel LCD with the EP3's OLED touch screen would be great too. And please no rattlenaking when being used with the PL25.

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, I'll make sure to pass that along to Olympus! :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You'll have to wait for the Olympus m25/1.4 for that one !!!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I figured that might be the case. I think Oly purposefully made the PL25 rattlesnake on the Oly bodies so that it will force us to buy Oly's version of it, if and when Oly comes out with one!!

It would be even nicer if Oly would just come up with a 17/1.4, 9/2, and 100/2 instead.