'First Impressions: Samsung NX300 and 45mm f1.8 3D' (Phoblographer)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Flagship model yet no evf?
    The hybrid pdaf sounds interesting...
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The three digit models aren't the flagships. That will presumably be the NX30 (replacing the NX20).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I don't think their current lenses line up to be really optimized for the PDAF. From what I was told about the NEX-5/6, which also uses a hybrid AF system, that only the new power zoom is the only lens to have the ability to use the PDAF currently(though you can get the A-mound adapter, which allows PDAF).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Just looking at the picture, it seems to be an odd placement for the wheel. Middle of the top requires you to move your shutter finger to access it, and then move back, all by feel? Or are they thinking more waist-level shooters, so looking down on it?
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The top dial looks to be the same one that has been used on every previous triple digit NX camera since the NX100. It has a very nice tactile feel to it, and in operation it works in the same manner as the finger wheel found on every Canon DSLR. Ideally though it would work better if it were placed slightly closer to the shutter button.
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm surprised more people don't use the Samsungs. They price aggressively, and their lens lineup seems competitive enough within the APS-C mirrorless space.
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I haven't looked at any samsung cameras in a while, but they used to have horrible jpeg engines in their cameras. For example, I really was considering EX2F, but I was not overly impressed with the JPEGS. I think RAW shooters would be more than fine with Samsung cameras, though.

I was trying to figure out how the 3D part of this works. I know fuji tried to venture down into 3D as well as panasonic. I'm just not sure how much traction 3D images have.
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Honestly I'm constantly swapping in and out my gear. I want to try one, but if I buy it I may never be able to get rid of it...
    (I also really wish DXO would run some numbers on the sensor.)
  10. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I want to try out the samsung as well. I was thinking of buying a used body but I was afraid I might not be able to resell it. The 85mm f1.4 looks pretty nice.
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I remember liking NX10 physically/ergonomically the most of all the mirrorless models available at the time. They also have a great lens line-up. However , they seem to want to go it alone with the sensors which are behind the Sony tech from what I understand. Also, I remember their first kit zooms didn't have OIS? Anyway, seems like an good system to get into. If only they and Sony used the same mount :eek: how awesome would that combo be? Sony bodies with Samsung lenses?
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It was their second (smaller) 20-50mm zoom that doesn't have IS.

Last year I tried a Sony NEX 5N and a Samung NX200 straight afterwards. Numerically I think the Sony has the better sensor (at very high ISOs mostly) but I definitely preferred the output from the Samsung when it wasn't the dead of night. The Sammy also feels like a much better finished product (materials and controls) and has nicer screen with IMO better menus and graphics. The shutter has a lovely, subtle snick-snick sound as well.