1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First impressions of the E-PM1 + 20mm f/1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kelton, May 4, 2012.

1. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    The "bokeh" that comes out of the lens is amazing! The motor is really loud though, and the AF is definitely not very fast. I'll have to give it some extensive testing to see if I really like it or not, but so far so good! :smile:

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    The 20 is my favorite lens on the E PM1.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's a terrific (and terrifically pocketable) combination. Since I acquired the 20mm a month or so ago it's only left my camera occasionally so that I could indulge my recent foray into adapted lenses. I agree that the bokeh the 20mm produces is very pleasing.

I haven't really noticed the noise of the motor, but maybe that's due to the fact that my point of comparison is the noisy first generation 14-42. The 20mm does exhibit the "clicking" noise from time to time, but I haven't experienced it in any environment where it was an issue. I also haven't been bothered by the AF speed.

Have fun with it and don't forget to share your images with us.

4. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I took a couple of photos today, but this one was by far my favorite. I still do notice the motor noise and it's actually quite loud (compared to the 14-42 IIR)

The colors are nice and vibrant, the picture is clear, and the food looks delicious :p

OOC JPEG using iEnhance.
    2edz7r6.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree that the colors are vibrant, but I might've stopped down one EV to get a bit more of that meal in focus. That way, the police would have a better chance to identify who killed me after I had a cardiac arrest in the parking lot.

That looks like something I'd be served in Wisconsin, not San Diego. What the heck is that?

6. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hmm yeah that's true but I just just wanted to see how well it really performs at 1.7. It's Carne Asada Fries.... Definitely something you would find in San Diego, but I could definitely see how it could be prepared maybe a little differently in Wisconsin! It was delicious, but extremely unhealthy hahah.

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I can understand that. I rarely move off 1.7 with my Panny, either.

Well that makes some sense, I guess. Interesting cultural mash-up there. I may have to seek that out next time I'm down there. For my ticker's sake I'll just make sure I have someone to split it with. :wink: