First impressions about the OM-D E-M10

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Olympus is certainly aware of the shutter shock effect but I suspect they simply couldn't fix it with the old 2 axis IBIS. Just speculating here, but it's possible that the new 3 axis version represents their attempt to create a lower end IBIS system with the shock effect fixed. This little problem has been a real issue for them for quite some time, especially since IBIS is one of those signature features they like to tout in their bodies.

Yohan Pamudji

Mu-43 Veteran
DPR's preview of the EM10 made a point of saying they could not reproduce the shutter shock effect in the EM10 that they were seeing in the EP5. (I'm still surprised their EP5 results were so noticeable.) The consensus on the IBIS seems to be better than the old Pen IBIS but not quite as good as the 5 axis version.

I haven't tried an E-P5, but I did get my hands on an E-M1 and it had clear shutter shock that was most noticeable in the 1/200 - 1/250 range the same as DPR's findings on the E-P5. DPR claim no shock on the E-M1, but if you look at the studio test shots you can see what looks like detail blurring at lower ISOs until they crank the ISO high enough to get a 1/320 shutter speed (ISO 800), which is consistent with my E-M1 experience.

My speculation is that both are showing similar shutter shock due to the new 1/8000 shutter mechanism. Of course I only tested a tiny sample size of one camera, but the theory makes sense to me.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
My speculation is that both are showing similar shutter shock due to the new 1/8000 shutter mechanism. Of course I only tested a tiny sample size of one camera, but the theory makes sense to me.

That is certainly the most obvious difference between the EM1/EP5 and the older EM5. Oddly, DPR was OK with the EM1 but famously complained about the EP5 in terms of Shutter shock.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
First test of the Live Composite mode on the E-M10

It wasn't a good night to try it, clouds and some mist in the way. But it has been raining for 10 days and it will probably rain for the following 10, so tonight might have been the only chance to do something.
Also, taking a shot in the middle of the city center didn't help either :)

12351974254_3b1db3cae1_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First shot taken with the OM-D E-M10 in Live Composite mode by Mat - MirrorLessons, on Flickr

The shot above was taken in approximately one hour with an interval of 3.2s per image.

Anyway, the Live Composite mode works really well. Like the Bulb or Live time mode, it will give you a real time preview of the exposure. In this case, the preview updates after each image. When you select the mode with the shutter speed dial, you can choose set as usual the main settings such as ISO and aperture. To select the exposure time per image, you press the Menu button and it jumps immediately to that settings in the submenu. Once you are done, you have to press the shutter button once to activate the mode, then you can still check your composition and focus. When you press the shutter button the second time, the live composite will start.
There isn't any limit to how many exposures the camera can merge. I tried with 1 second per image and it was still working after more than 1300 shots. I stayed two hours and a half outside and it was cold, but the battery was still full when I came back home.
The final result can be recorded on either RAW and JPG format. You cannot deactivate the NR for long exposure (the option is grayed and set to on).

I was surprised by how quick the camera finish the process when you press the shutter button again to stop recording. In a few seconds, the camera is ready to shoot again.

dolbydunn

Mu-43 Regular
Hey Mat - I read Mirrorlessons regularly and enjoy your site very much. Thanks for the public service.

I am curious if you have done any video tests with the E-M10. Would love to hear your evaluation of the E-M10 Video & IS for video or perhaps see some video you've taken with it.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
Hey Mat - I read Mirrorlessons regularly and enjoy your site very much. Thanks for the public service.

I am curious if you have done any video tests with the E-M10. Would love to hear your evaluation of the E-M10 Video & IS for video or perhaps see some video you've taken with it.

Ask and you will be served ;)

[video=youtube;MrELBP-ptX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrELBP-ptX0[/video]

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...the-olympus-om-d-e-m10-keep-up-with-the-e-m5/

dolbydunn

Mu-43 Regular
Mat

I rechecked Mirrorlessons site and found the video you re-posted here . . . I feel like a dummy. Thanks for posting.

The Image Stabilization is definitely a PLUS.

Real Name
Andrew L
This camera has me pretty excited, and it's the first Olympus model to really grab me. I might have been excited about the EM5 a couple years ago, except at the price point it started at, I'd probably never have considered it.

But this one comes in at such a reasonable price point (I'm hoping it will drop as is usual with M4/3 cameras) and still has so many advanced features, along with great looks (I hate the mismatched look of the EM1) and a nice EVF (which I'm beginning to crave). It's positively shaken me from the Panasonic side of things, and I'd previously childishly avoided Olympus models purely based on the obnoxiousness of some Olympus adherents on a similar forum which I'll not name :p

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
At the beginning of this thread I wrote that I would try to answer all the questions you guys wanted to ask me about the E-M10.
Some of them have already been answered and you might have also found answers elsewhere.
Anyway, since we also received many questions on our articles, I published a summary of all the most interesting questions we received about the E-M10.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...-readers-qa-all-about-the-olympus-om-d-e-m10/

And specifically, you will find some answers for the following questions you asked here, which are:

One question if possible: did you, or can you, try it with 4/3 lenses to see how it performs. I have many 4/3 lenses and would be courious to now if it is better than M5.

I tried the E-M10 with the Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4 and the MMMF3 adapter, but unfortunately the AF is slower just like on the E-M5. For those interested in using FT lenses with OM-D cameras, the E-M1 is without a doubt the best choice.

Sorry another 25mm question... How would you compare it to the panasonic 20mm? The 20mm is my standard lens and I love it, but the 25mm looks aesthetically nicer! It would take a significant IQ difference for me to swap though, I think...

I managed to briefly try the 20mm 1.7 in a camera store. The main difference is the AF. The 25mm is much faster, but the slow AF of the 20mm was already known. From 1.7 to 1.8 there isn’t much difference, but the M.Zuiko 25mm seems slightly sharper (even though the quick test I made cannot be considered exhaustive). Personally, your choice should be dictated by whether you need a fast AF or if you need those extra 5mm or not.

DPR's preview of the EM10 made a point of saying they could not reproduce the shutter shock effect in the EM10 that they were seeing in the EP5. (I'm still surprised their EP5 results were so noticeable.).

I can confirm that there isn't any shutter shock effect on the E-M10. On the link below you can check out many pictures taken at the "sensitive" shutter speeds ;)

Just curious if it will make taking long exposure shots at night that much better or easier? Very little has been said about it, but what intrigued me the most was an example of it's use for say a night shot of star filled sky over an even brighter set of lights coming from homes or a city scape. Normally, if you tried to expose with both areas in the frame, the lights from bottom of frame which would have city lights and a glow from urban life will probably get over exposed before you have a chance to properly expose the nighttime sky with stars.

From what I understand, using Live Composite, it's like a "smart" live bulb or live time long exposure mode.. It will stop exposure on the city lights, then expose (or continue to expose) for only the start night above, then automatically combine the 2 exposures at their best so in the end you get 1 "perfectly exposed" image.

If true, that would be tremendous tool for long complicated exposures at night. Any experience or thoughts on the Live Composite?

It works great, it is the least I can say :)
The picture below is a second attempt I took last night, the sky was clearer than the first night I tried the live composite.

E-M10-live-composite-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
Mathieu,

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many of our questions. One last question from me if you don't mind. Seeing as you shoot with an E-M5 and have now had the E-M10 for a couple weeks, how would you compare the build quality between the two? I've used an E-M5 briefly and loved the feel of that camera, but would appreciate the advancements of the E-M10 provided that build quality wasn't compromised too much.

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Another 25mm question. Have you shot previously with the Olympus 17mm 1.8 lens. If so, how is the IQ and sharpness compared to the 25mm/1.8. I want to get one for low light/night circumstances to use with my EM10, but really prefer the FOV of 34mm for an all-around lens than 50mm. Thanks.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
I hadn't the chance to compare them side by side, but I used the 17mm a lot during my E-M1 review and both lenses deliver the same image quality in my opinion. Sharpness at f/1.8 seems the same, the overall image quality feels the same as well. They both have the same minimum focus distance, so they really behave in the same way. The only real difference is an obvious one and that is the focal length. With the 25mm you can have a little bit more bokeh or shallow DoF. But if you prefer the 34mm FOV, then go with the 17mm ;)

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I hadn't the chance to compare them side by side, but I used the 17mm a lot during my E-M1 review and both lenses deliver the same image quality in my opinion. Sharpness at f/1.8 seems the same, the overall image quality feels the same as well. They both have the same minimum focus distance, so they really behave in the same way. The only real difference is an obvious one and that is the focal length. With the 25mm you can have a little bit more bokeh or shallow DoF. But if you prefer the 34mm FOV, then go with the 17mm ;)

Thank you for all of your information here! If I can bother you again, have you used the Panasonic 20mm enough to offer a comparison to that (other than FL obviously). I think a lot of people with the 20 might consider this lens with Oly bodies.

Microman

Mu-43 Regular
Now that the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is out, I wouldn't bother with the old Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. I don't like the way it renders the photo. Too harsh for my taste. The Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is a nice lens, but the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 can be had for half the price of a Panasonic 25mm. The new Olympus is a champ. The perfect 50mm equivalent.

I really hope that Olympus has fixed the shutter shock problem in the E-M10. It would be nice to finally have a camera body that doesn't have it. I tried both the E-M5 and the E-M1 and quickly sold both because of the shutter shock issue. I need a reliable tool, not a fancy high tech toy.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
Wha?

I was seeing prices just under 400 for the new Olympus and a bit over 500 for the PanaLeica,
I'm hoping the Olympus price is just early days.

Agreed, the only way I see the Oly 25mm at half price of the Pan 25mm is if you compare the instant rebate price when you buy an O-MD body of $299 with the MSRP of the Pan 25mm of $599. That's not a realistic comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Top Bottom