1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First impressions about the OM-D E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Hi everyone,

I have had the chance to use the new OM-D for five days now. While it is officially an entry level, it does look and feel like an E-M5 twin sister to me. I love the refined design and button layout, the fact that it is slightly smaller than the E-M5 doesn't change its ergonomics really.

The three axis stabilisation works very well but I do get the feeling that it is less effective than the 5-axis in some situations. If I want to be sure to take a sharp image, I always need to take two shots in a row and the second is usually the sharp one. This is something I do less with the 5-axis stabilisation, especially with the E-M1.

The sensor is the same as the E-M5, but with the E-M1 processor, so I will analyse what concrete benefits it brings to this new camera. The AF seems better, also because it has 81 contrast detection areas like the E-M1 (but of course, no phase detection).

I wrote a first impression review that you can read here, where I also share lots of images taken with the new 14-42mm pancake lens and the 25mm f/1.8.
    http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...-first-impressions-of-the-olympus-om-d-e-m10/

I still have the camera and will have it for more than a week at least, so if there is something you want me to check or compare don't hesitate to leave a comment on the article or in this thread, which I will check on a regular basis;)

I'll try to answer to everyone ;)

Some samples, all OOC JPG with the vivid profile

E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-1-720x539.
    E-M10, 1/1000, f/ 8, ISO 200 – M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8

E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-3-720x540.
    E-M10, 1/10, f/ 5.6, ISO 200 – M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8

E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-15-720x539.
    E-M10, 1/320, f/ 5.6, ISO 200 – M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 – In Camera HDR

E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-30-540x720.
    E-M10, 1/80, f/ 5.6, ISO 200 – M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

• Like Like x 13
  2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Thanks for the info - but I am really interested in the 25mm F1.8 - I see you have a few shots but I am interested in your thoughts on this lens if you don't mind me jumping into the thread.

3. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Not at all ;)

The 25mm is at the same level of the other M.Zuiko primes. It is made of plastic like the 45mm, but it comes with a lens hood!

It is very sharp at f/1.8. Here are some full size examples:

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...s/2014/01/E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-29.jpg

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...s/2014/01/E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-31.jpg

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerarevi...s/2014/01/E-M10-Hands-On-Sample-Images-44.jpg

Olympus says that it is sharper than the Pana Leica 25mm at 1.4. I'll try to check that as well.

Of course when you close the aperture, it becomes razor sharp. I must say that it handles colours and contrast very well. There can be some slightly chromatic aberration at f/1.8.

The only limit is purple flare, a characteristic of the micro four thirds system in general I might say. With the 25mm, it can sometime be too invasive. But it is just a matter of slightly tilting up or down the frame in order to avoid it (and get a normal flare if you shoot into direct sun light).

• Like Like x 12
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Is the viewfinder size/opening exactly the same as Em5? Is there a way to connect external sound recorder, or without accessory port,not?

5. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    :biggrin:

*stands, clapping*

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes the viewfinder has the same size and opening as the one built into the E-M5.
    There isn't any mic or line input for sound recording. The only port available are USB/Video out and mini HDMI.

7. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    LOL that's the most surprising thing really :D

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    One question if possible: did you, or can you, try it with 4/3 lenses to see how it performs. I have many 4/3 lenses and would be courious to now if it is better than M5.

9. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Noted. I will ask to one of the local camera store where I usually go. I know he has 4/3 lenses and he probably has an adapter as well.

10. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Sorry another 25mm question... How would you compare it to the panasonic 20mm? The 20mm is my standard lens and I love it, but the 25mm looks aesthetically nicer! It would take a significant IQ difference for me to swap though, I think...

• Like Like x 1
  11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thank you. Really appreciate.

12. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I do not know very well the 20mm. But if it is your favorite lens, maybe the best thing to do is wait until you can try it, in order to understand if the extra 5mm or the 25mm IQ can make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the great review!

I will be getting one but will wait until this summer. First I won't get a chance to really use it much till then and second I hate to buy before all the reviews are in and the possible bugs been discovered. Still I think it is the best m4/3 camera for the price! It has all the features I need. The few things it lacks in comparison to the other OM-D models are things I would never or at least rarely use so this is the camera for me. It uses the same batteries as the PENs{except the E-P5} so that is a plus.

14. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Thanks for the hands-on preview video. Looking forward to your full article comparing the E-M10 and E-M5.

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I wonder how is the 3 Axis during video?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Me too. I saw a video that claimed 5-axis is activated in video, but he's the only one to claim that. Would be interesting to know for sure if this is true or false. I actually liked the idea of 3-axis video instead of 5-axis since the 2 missing axes aren't that useful IMO.

4:10 into this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSrwLuS9ZY

17. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Is the purple flare just the reflection of the sun off the sensor bouncing back off a lens element to be recorded?

18. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I will try that as well ;)

19. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Yes. It is related to a specific angle at which the light rays enter the lens. If I slightly tilt the camera up or down (a matter of millimetres really), the purple flare disappears.

20. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    A quick test of the E-M10 IS for video ;)

[video=youtube;MrELBP-ptX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrELBP-ptX0[/video]

• Like Like x 3