1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First impression...the Pana 14mm f 2.5...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Spent the day with my new toy. First impressions.....

- sharper than expected
    - incredible distortion on the edges regardless of f stop

Otherwise very happy with compactness and overall image quality .

Cath

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Just got my own new 14mm in my hands about ten minutes ago - off to Tenerife with it on Sunday, so will try my best to give it a workout along with the 20mm and 45mm...

Never heard anyone mentioning 'incredible' distortion at the edges; I've only ever heard good things said about it, and comparing it to the price of the Oly 12mm it's a no-brainer...

3. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    I just received my new 14mm last week. I'm very pleasantly surprised with the lens so far. Very useful lens and super small package paired with my GF3. I like it! :2thumbs:

Enjoy your new toy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    HK
    Jacques
    I quite like mine, I still mostly go out with the 20mm f/1.7 on my E-PL2, but the 14mm is always following in my pocket :)

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    i've had a close look at the images straight out of the camera and what looked like distortion I've corrected by straightening. I don't know why this is happening but the images look ok when I'm taking them on the LCD or through the EVF, but anything with vertical lines like bridges or structures are tilted/wonky when I look at them on the computer.
    And I was stone-cold sober-honest !!

6. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    most m43 lenses are now corrected for distortion etc by the camera firmware and/or software such as lightroom than by expensive lens design - uncorrected you WILL see lots of distortion.
    I have both 20mm and 14mm (on a GF1) while the 14 is no match for the 20, distortion is well controlled by the firmware/software (I use LR3).
    What camera body are you using and what PP software?

7. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I have the Olympus E-PL1 and shot jpegs. No PP other than cropping as I wanted to see what the images were like without.