1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First impression of my GX7, Wow!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by silver92b, Dec 30, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Finally my GX7 showed up today! I had to wait quite a while while the battery charged. I read the enclosed manual a bit and got busy with other things. Finally I put the freshly charged battery in it and shot my first shots :biggrin:. The first thing that happened is that I had to turn on the "shooting without lens" option. I managed to do it and the FD 50mm f1.4 that I had put on the camera was ready to shoot. The first one was a throw-away, but the second shot was quite a nice surprise.

I've stopped right there and posted here right away :smile:. The very first thing I notice is that the focus peaking is awesome! I could never shoot my E-M5 with legacy lenses this easily! It's fabulous really.. Anyway, I set the ratio to 3:2 to match the 35mm format. I think it's set to just take JPGs and not RAW files now. I need to get into the menus and set up the camera to suit my whims. The IQ seems to be very good. I adjusted to WB with LR because the mixture of fluorescent and incandescent lights in my kitchen is terrible. The initial "as shot" WB was not bad at all. I could have actually left it alone and no one would be the wiser.

I think I'm going to love this camera! :biggrin:

P1000002.

Here is a cropped detail scaled to 70% of original. I shot hand held, 1/125" ISO 1000. I don't know if the stabilization is on or not.

P1000002-2.

• Like Like x 3
  2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Here are two shots taken with the PL25mm f1.4

P1000003.

P1000004.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    As a GX1 fan I've thought my natural upgrade will/would be a GX7 in the future. Recently I've started using a few manual four lenses, and I'm able to focus them well most of the time by either using the whole image, or with magnification ON. I've never used focus peeking.

I'm curious if focus peeking can be off (though I assume I'd like it?) and the overall viewfinder image can be used, or magnified and it’s size adjusted to preference as on the GX1?

4. veesalo

veesalo New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2013
    North Europe
    You can turn off focus peaking but why? It is very fast to get decent focus with fp especially if you stop down a bit, with big apertures it's better to confirm after fp with needed(or proper?) enlargement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I assume I'd like focus peeking and would keep it on, but don't know, have yet to try it.

Interesting. Seems I prefer my fast, manual lenses closer to wide-open for manual focus as the OOF areas make it easier to see what is in-focus. Particularly with a wide angle lens.

Why does it help FP to have the lens a bit closed?

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have taken lots of photos with legacy glass and my E-M5, I use mostly the magnification and a sort of focus peaking workaround that I found. The problem with the 10x magnification is that it's very hard to find the point that I need to focus on (at least I find it difficult). The FP hack on the E-M5 works but not as well as the GX7. However, I just found by playing around that the FP does not appear on some targets... It works super well with edges and sharp contrast surfaces, but with rounded edges, it just does not show up every time. Still, the FP makes it super easy to shoot with MF lenses. I suppose that stopping down a bit helps to make sure that the chosen subject is in focus by enlarging the (depth) area in focus...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Is the hack of using the art filter? If not, what is your hack?

8. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Does the E-M5 only magnify manual focus at x10?

When using the manual focus magnification on my GX1 there are three magnification levels to choose from. I didn't know what the magnification levels were but I just looked in the manual, they are x4, x5, and x10. I rarely use the x4, mostly the x5, and occasionally the x10.

I can see where x10 would be a pain if that's the only choice.

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Focus peaking is great when it works properly, I have my GX7 setup with with manual assist, love that I can touch the shutter, it focuses, and then use the manual focus ring on the lens to instantly fine tune where I want the focus to pinpoint onto. Being able to see the peaking on things that are not close enough to be 100% sure of focus is such a bonus, end of the day we are looking to get the best shot we can in print or on a bigger screen, so even if the peaking annoyed me I would still use it!

10. veesalo

veesalo New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2013
    North Europe
    Just that FP is not as accurate as magnification, so stopping gives little more DOF and makes MF shooting very fast. Fiddling with magnification is much slower, atleast for me. I have Hexanon 57mm/1.4, wide open I have to use magnification, with FP only I would miss for sure, f4 and smaller gives little more DOF. I still prefer wider apertures like you.

• Like Like x 1