1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First images with a G5, and a question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidedric, Dec 6, 2013.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I recently bought a G5 with the standard kit lens (the first version of the 14-42mm).

I took it out for a trial run, mostly to run through different ISO's and f-stops to see what I got: sharpness and noise in particular. I was shooting in RAW + JPEG. I plan to shoot only in RAW, but I thought it would be easier to compare "standard" jpegs with no need for pp. I then imported all the images into Lightroom, did nothing with the jpegs, and pp'd the RAW images till I thought they looked reasonable (not trying to produce exhibition pictures). I found that I needed to be a deal more aggressive with the Lightroom sliders, especially Clarity, Vibrance and Sharpening than I am used to with my Canon DSLR kit.

I then exported them as jpegs at 80%, long side maximum 1200, sharpened for web, and uploaded them to smugmug.

I am showing the native jpeg and the pp'd RAW here (I hope, not tried linking in an image before EDIT - failed, just the links for now till I get it sorted, I'll be back). The images were shot at ISO 160, 42mm, f/8.0, 1/250 sec. Auto WB (obviously not relevant for the RAW image), and with the "standard jpeg settings.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the jpegs, though as I said not really an issue because I plan to mostly shoot RAW, but something that I will need to work on if I want to use the camera for snapshots.

Question: What do you think of the RAW image? Is it the kind of IQ that I should expect from this body/lens? Any other comments welcome (not particularly the composition :smile:)

Many thanks,

Dave

Jpeg original

http://davidedric.smugmug.com/Pany/i-4K7q8sW/A

RAW original

http://davidedric.smugmug.com/Pany/i-SHbcBTm/A

2. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Trying to get the images embedded: JPEG first, RAW processed second

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    At a quick glance, to my eyes the jpeg does look a bit soft and muted, but the scene looks like a rather soft and muted scene, somewhat hazy and monochromatic. The raw file looks overly sharpened to me (especially looking at the grass in the foreground, and at the water). The contrast similarly feels a bit harsh. I don't have experience with this kit lens, so I don't know how much its limitations are playing into the softness of the jpeg, but the post processing seems to be pushing a bit too hard to make up for the softness.

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Thanks. Yes, the second image is rather overdone :redface: The problem I have with the jpeg is that it gives no sense of the late afternoon sun streaming across teh hillside, which was what I saw. Here is rather more selectively treated version of the raw image.

[​IMG]

5. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Yes, this looks better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Pany JPEGs have a reputation for being somewhat dull. I had a GF1 for a short time and concur with the reputation. Using raw produced significantly better results - certainly much closer to my expectations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Firstly, there are two things which I find Panasonic do wrong with each m4/3rds camera I've tried : auto-WB and "standard" Jpegs.
    If your G5 WB is decent, hooray!
    Now I found "standard" to be almost rubbish in its mediocrity and colour choices,
    I tried WB-Daylight & "Scenery" in this G3 and immediately everything was accaptable. Has the G5 changed all that? in your case, no.
    so ... try "scenery" and leave standard in the bin. Even my ancient G1 looks rather poor in "standard".

Comparing Canon DSLR Jpegs I'd suggest an Olympus to get Jpeg "pop" parity. I actually like Olympus Jpeg grass much better than Canon, but I say Canon does all the other colours nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RandyH

RandyH New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2013
    Dave, I think both pics look nice. It will take a little time to get used to the panny, as I'm a new member and Still have a long ways to go.With your background, it just takes time

• Like Like x 1
  9. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    ditch the kit lens and you will be halfway to the solution.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Well, I sort of did that. After much reading around, I decided to buy the version II of the 14-42mm (my requirement is for a lightweight, carry everywhere camera, with one or two lenses).

Am I ever glad that I did. Arrived yesterday, and after just a few test shots it's just a different story: sharp, contrasty, good saturation (that's just RAW with minimal pp, haven't tried jpegs, but I don't usually shoot them anyway). Now I've got kit I feel I can work with, I'll be getting out there to see what it can really do.

Dave

11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I was about to write saying that the problem must be on the first version of the 14-42mm kit lens.
    I never tried that lens (I have the good old 14-45mm), but I read lot's of complaints about the 14-42mm.
    Looks like they have improved the version II. Glad you managed to get the results you expected from the Panasonic G5.

I don't find the G5 JPGs to be any dull.
    On my G5 the colors are vibrant and enough saturated.
    On the other way, I have also a GX1 that I find the JPGs to be a bit dull for my taste compared with the G5.
    Anyway, I shoot RAW, so in the end I get the desired results with a few clicks of pp.

12. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I find G5 colors rater dull. And i low/artificial light awb is not working correctly giving yellowish colors. [I usually shoot with RAW so it's not a problem. But my wife wanted jpg out of camera so I had to deal with it somehow. Fortunately with G5 you can alter how AWB works (search manual for Finely adjusting the White Balance). I've added red and blue to have correct white color, and for my wife taste set saturation +2. For me it's over-saturated be she likes it.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Grab a trial of DXO9, it makes Panasonic bodies shine for those that are particular about colors (You can choose Oly, Nikon, Canon colors). Shooting in raw is a bit of a pain, especially when you are used to cameras with good jpegs, but its worth the effort.