First images of the new Olympus E-M5II!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Halaking, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    oly_e-m5ii_silver_f001.

oly_e-m5ii_silver_b001.

oly_e-m5ii_silver_t001.

Those are the very first images of the soon to be announced new Olympus E-M5II! Specs:

Same E-M5 16MP sensor
    Update processor (improves slightly the IQ)
    No PDAF
    New sensor shift shooting that allows to combine 8 pictures in one to create a 40 Megapixel image
    Improved 5 axis stabilization
    It does have clean hdmi-out
    all common frame rates and video optimized af-algorithm.
    50Mb/s all 1080p (no 4K recording)

Reminder: The new Olympus camera coming during the first week of February will be called Olympus E-M5II (or E-M5 Mark II). And the big new feature of the camera is “sensor shift” shooting. The camera has a 16 Megapixel sensor that can shoot up to 40 Megapixel by shifting the sensor (in up to 8 frames of single shots).

The sources didn’t explain me in very detail how it works but my guess is that it works in a similar way of the Hasselblad H5D-200c. Hasselblad (Pdf file here) describes the tech in that way:

High precision piezo-electrical actuators control movements of the sensor in ½ and in one pixel increments. By combining six shots, offset by a combination of both ½ pixel increments and one pixel increments, the colors, Red, Green and Blue of each point are obtained with a double resolution in both the X and Y directions. The result is an astonishing 200Mpixel full color image with no artifacts, such as moiré.
    The Bayer Mosaic filter pattern covers the pixels of the sensor. Moving the sensor in one pixel increments between shots, allows for the exact R, G, B values to be captured in every pixel. The multiple captures are then assembled to deliver the correct colors and ultimate definition of detail. Adding captures, each offset by a ½ pixel sensor movement, creates space for extending the sensor resolution from 50Mpix to 200Mpix. The outstanding definition of color and detail is maintained.

Thanks to M43 Rumor.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  3. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Looks smart. Probably not enough for me to get one over my recently acquired em-1. On the massive plus side, that looks like a fully articulating rear LED screen!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Finally a full articulated LCD screen!

• Like Like x 3
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    hmmm.... I was waiting to see what comes out the EM5II. At this stage there doesn't seem to be enough there for me to want to pick one up. I might instead keep my EM5 and get a EM10 as a second body.

6. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Doesn't it look bigger? At least wider? Looks more like the old OM than m1 too.

If it is bigger, I don't like it but otherwise I do like the new button/dial layout. There is also the little 1/2 switch which is great. And a new button on the front. Not particular fond of the beefier dials though. I like the very slim ones on mk1. Fully articulated screen too is a bonus I guess. Don't mind the tilting but sure, nice to have.

Still no GPS :frown:
    No 1/8000?
    No ND filters?
    No focus peaking?
    No flash?

I'm not in the market to upgrade but in a couple of years...maybe. But then if GX8 will be weather sealed it will have very stiff competition and might loose out.

I'm excited to see how it will perform. Bring it on.

Also in the same m43rumor post is a picture of the new 14-150R. I like it. Hopefully it has improved quality too! And a great price :)

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-of-the-new-olympus-e-m5ii/

7. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    Articulated screen! Finally Olympus see the light.

Looks good to me. Hopefully the fn1 is easy to get to for back button focusing/focus peaking.

Not keen on the power switch moving to the left but that's minor.

If the sensor shift turns out to be useful I might be tempted. Would have been nice to see a new sensor.

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    #massivegas

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have often felt that that the fully articulated screen would have been the way to go on the larger E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The biggest feature for me is sensor-shift, because it sounds like an alternate route to the kind of high-fidelity images that Sigma gets from its Foveon sensor. I expect this first implementation will be like bracketing, suitable for static subjects and best shot from a tripod, but I expect the machinery will get faster and eventually become as inconspicuous as IBIS.

11. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Some of the new hardware features look pretty sweet. If its still weather resistant, I'm probably in for an upgrade since I haven't upgraded to an em1. Of course it makes you wonder what to expect in the eventual em1 mk2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Is that articulated screen like the one on 4/3 E-5? Can it be flipped all the way over for storage and screen protection?

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The screen is finally as useful as Panasonic's, will it do what my G1 & G3 do? : folded inward the EVF is on, flipping the screen open activates the LCD ... it is very useful.

14. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    All this sensor shifting and Image stabilisation = More to go wrong, Give me a fixed sensor any day

• Like Like x 1
  15. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Hrm I wonder how the power switch being moved to the left is going to effect those people who quickly but out the camera one handed like those sling shooters. (Though noticed it's the same placement as the E-M1, but the E-M1 puts the mode dial over to the right)

Just bought a used em5 a couple days ago (arrives tomorrow) but not regretting doing so as I don't see price dropping quite as dramatically in favor of the new one and it still seems like a solid camera.

New to the swivel screen thing on a decent camera so going to be interesting. Maybe I'll get a mk2 at the end of the year as a companion body.

16. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The in body IS has been around a while, plus you can turn it off. But I do wonder how much more of a strain the sensor shift will add for someone who already shoots mostly with IS enabled anyways.

17. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Well, you can definitely see why it's called the EM-5 ii, not the EM-6. Same sensor, very similar body, very similar specs.

I think that it will be a tough sell to EM-5 owners who don't have severe cases of G.A.S., but for people who were looking at buying a new EM-5, it won't hurt to have a 2015 refresh on the shelf, kind of like the x100t to the x100s.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have to say I think the articulated screen is nice and of course we'll have to wait to see what the full list of 'upgraded' features are and what the price ends up being, but as it currently stands I don't find this release compelling in the least when you can currently get a brand new E-M5 for $599

19. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    There are enough incremental improvements that it has me interested. Wifi, tethered shooting (hopefully, since it exists on other OMD models), improved ergonomics. If the sensor shift actually brings some benefit to the table for landscapes, then I'm likely in assuming I can swing the budget. If I can get a bundle with the 12-40 for say $1599 even better, but I suspect it's more likely to be $1799 for that (assuming they bundle, of course).

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see an accessory port.