First images of the new 25mm/1.8, 14-42mm Pancake, 9mm lens cap Olympus lenses!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Halaking, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks to M4/3 rumors!

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm F1.8
    - 46mm filter diameter
    - Minimum focusing distance is 0.25m
    - Comes in black and silver
    - Estimated retail price of around 35,000 yen (250 Euro or around $335)
    M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
    - 37mm filter diameter
    - Comes in black and silver
    - Estimated retail price of around 35,000 yen (250 Euro or around $335)
    - Has a lens cap (correction, it’s not built in. You can remove it!)
    - Fish-eye lens of 9mm f/8.0
    - Minimum focusing distance 0.2m

Note from Amin: 43Rumors via Digicameinfo
    • Like Like x 16
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    oioooh that 25/1.8 is priced nice!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I dig the sizes. Not sure I could give up the PL 25 though. Have to wait for image samples. Love that the 14-42 is tiny.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    It definitely is. I can't wait to see the images from that lens. Might be a good replacement for my 20/1.7 which I like but not nearly as much as my 45/1.8. And the 25 and my 45 could be twins :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Can't wait to pair that Oly 25 with one of my E-PM2s. My new go everywhere camera!

It's exactly what I hoped it would be: small, light, plastic, affordable. Assuming it has good performance, and I'd be shocked if it doesn't, we have a winner.
  6. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    It be cool if it was pancake size.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Look like two nice lenses, but really Olympus, is it that hard to agree on a common filter size? Getting tired of all the 37/46/52/58/62mm filters. Pick a size (or two) and stick with it!
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    The 25mm 1.8 looks very similar to 45mm 1.8 (same design, same focus ring), which is nice as it will perfectly fit into the line of compact oly primes. I assume it has the same built quality as well (plactic). Hope the image quality will be on pair with 45mm. I will definetely be getting one!
  9. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I may have to sell my Panasonic 20mm and pick up that Olympus 25mm. If image quality is anything like the 45mm, should be an easy move.

I love the Panasonic, but a bit extra reach and faster focusing will definitely be appreciated.
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Yes! A 25mm version of the cool 45mm ... and same price-ish? Bonus.
  11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Another zoom? Wow. Looks interesting, but I think Image quality will suffer. I hope I'm wrong.

25mm looks fantastic.
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    These are nice steps in the right direction. Though I would of liked to see a 9mm 2.8 as opposed to a body cap lens! Where's our fast wide prime?
    • Like Like x 4
  13. otaillon

otaillon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    That lens cap looks really fun, especially if it is priced like the actual one.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    *clap clap*
    lets stay focussed
    we all want a bcl 22mm...
    lets get to it!

*flippant gesture of dismissal*

hopefully they can stop making 14-42 kit zooms now... -_-
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm sick of kit lenses.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    I wonder how it will perform next to the Panasonic 25 f1.4? I have the Panny and its my favorite lens in my bag. Very sharp, great color, and its f1.4. Fast and lots of wonderful bokeh. However, its almost twice the price of this new Oly. If this lens performs like the 45mm then I probably would have gotten this one first. Good move on their marketing dept. ;)

I also agree with you Jonathan on both posts. I too really want to see a ultra-wide fast lens of quality from Oly and not sure why they keep making mediocre kit lenses for such a wonderful lineup of camera bodies.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Heh why? There's oly been like 15 different variations on 14-40somethings in the last 4 years. :wink:

The pancake zooms though, are at least different.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I try and get into the kit lenses (I've owned several), but the moment I compare them to the M43 prime lenses, I always end up selling them off! The kit lenses are decent, it's just that the primes are that much better!

The PL 25mm 1.4 is pretty darn good. Not much reason to swap unless you don't use the 1.4 much and you want to free up funds. I was never fond of the 50mm equivalent on DSLRs, but for some reason I find it great on M43!
  19. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    I will be preordering that 9mm. What an awesome idea! That will go perfect on my epl3. Ill never take it off haha
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Exactly. I'm willing to give a bit of size to improve the AF speed. But i will wait for the first test shots, and see if the shots taken with the 25 come closer to the 45 or the 17 results, as a lot of people here "complain" about the sharpness of the 17 f1.8.
    Quite surprised to see pancake 14-42, wonder if it will replace the 17mm as the new kit lens.

Anyhow, nice additions to the overall m43 lens list.