First images of the E-PM1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by AdamThirtle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    • Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for posting.

I can't imagine my using this with a zoom, but maybe one of the pancakes, but only if the body is cheap. Maybe I'll get one used 6 months from now (when prices have dropped). Gotta save my money now for the new lenses and the EP3!
  3. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I think this looks good. Slightly taller than the GF3 but with accessory shoe and also IBIS. Combined with the Lumix 14mm lens it could potentially replace my Ricoh GRDIII.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Will all three new Pens have the new allegedly super fast AF technology?
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    So says the rumor (that the mini has super fast AF)

I know the rumors are that the old lenses will work on the new bodies, but will the new lenses work on old bodies?
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would assume so.....just without the blinding speed.
  7. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I want to see 100-300mm on it :p
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1 although I wonder if the E-PL3 will be pretty much the same thing plus a flip LCD.
  9. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I like the look of it as a very low key street shooter with a pancake lens on there, although I am not looking to buy a new camera for a wee while.
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wonder what it will be like to hold? I think the balance will be important in a small body like that. The lack of any sort of grip has me wondering if that would be a comfortable camera to have with you all day. It might be because of the size. Then again...
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what I'm thinking too, Amin... that the E-PL3 is going to be a tweaked version of this Mini, rather than a lighter version of the E-P3. We don't know what else is missing off this camera, so it could be more changes than just the flip LCD... for instance, maybe this camera has only touch screen, and the E-PL3 has some buttons/dials... who knows?
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I was thinking the same thing myself - a camera needs a grip. I was hoping it would share more styling with the e-pl2 on a smaller scale. The 4/3 rumor page says the e-pl2 will be essentially the same with some more external controls and the flip lcd. If that is it, I see an e-pl2 in my future, surely they'll be hitting the discount bin with 3 new models on the floor!
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The larger the lens the more support you have on the lens itself, freeing you from holding the camera body. The body just needs a shutter release and metering control. ;)

I use various lenses on my PEN... with a pancake lens I hold the camera, with a fast super-telephoto I hold the lens. With a fast standard zoom I support from both ends. They're all as comfortable to me, but different.
  14. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    i think the rumor mentioned it will be tilt rather than flip LCD, which is a tad disappointing (if it's true), nonetheless an improvement from the current pen. epl3 should retain a grip, unlike epm1.
  15. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    What's the point of the EPL3??? There has to be enough product seperation between the 3 to justify making them.

EPM-3 .. more of true pocket camera, no flash. Probably lower max shutter speed i.e. 1/2000s Probably not fully manual control eithers. include M

EP-3.. fully manual, flash, probably 1/4000s shutter.

I don't really see where the EPL-3 fits in... a 1/2000s max with flash like the orginal EPL-1???? Why since the EPM-3 will be significantly more marketable then the EPL-3.

Gotta admit, I think I would like to have the EPM-3 along with the EP-3 ;-)
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think it's way too early to tell where the E-PL3 fits in, we have so little information on it yet.
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    You mean... not until tomorrow ;)
  18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have been contemplating getting a high end compact in the future, such as the XZ-1, to complement the E-PL1 that I have.

Stick the 20mm pancake on this one though, and I'm not so sure I want an XZ-1 anymore. :cool:

Daytime and normal use: my E-PL1 (or possible E-P3 :wink: )

A night out or casual dinner: E-PM1 with pancake.

Looks good!

As far as the "why E-PL3" question - some people might want more "power" than the E-PM1 but do not want the extra capability (and probably more importantly, the $$$$) of the E-P3.
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In regards to the question of "Why the E-PL3", I think the biggest thing we need to learn first is the specs on the E-PM1. There may be more missing off this camera than we realize just by looking at the photos, functions (or buttons/dials?) which may be retained by the E-PL3 in the same form factor. So maybe the question will turn into, "Why the E-PM1"? I'm willing to wait another day for the announcement before making any speculations. ;)
  20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Apart from the hot-shoe and IBIS (did they keep an accessory port?) I can't see that they've done enough to help people make a clear distinction from the GF3 (or a high end P&S like the xz-1).

I think for a Pen 'lite' they'd have been better off putting the guts of a m43 into the xz-1 with a similar fixed zoom lens to keep it compact. Similar to the Pen EES vs Pen F.

That way you'd have your cheap P&S, a step up to the xz-1, a step up to a Pen 'lite', a step up to a E-PLx and finally a step up to a E-Px

Depending on sales figures it may be they'd either keep the xz-1 or it would be superceeded by the Pen 'lite' as I suspect the market wouldn't sustain two cameras with such similar specs.

Then again I don't run a multi-million-dollar camera company so what do I know ?

Maybe we need a couple of new threads 'If I ran <insert favourite camera company name here> this is what I'd do . . .'