1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First images of the E-PM1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by AdamThirtle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for posting.

I can't imagine my using this with a zoom, but maybe one of the pancakes, but only if the body is cheap. Maybe I'll get one used 6 months from now (when prices have dropped). Gotta save my money now for the new lenses and the EP3!

3. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I think this looks good. Slightly taller than the GF3 but with accessory shoe and also IBIS. Combined with the Lumix 14mm lens it could potentially replace my Ricoh GRDIII.

-Thomas

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Will all three new Pens have the new allegedly super fast AF technology?

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So says the rumor (that the mini has super fast AF)

I know the rumors are that the old lenses will work on the new bodies, but will the new lenses work on old bodies?

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would assume so.....just without the blinding speed.

7. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I want to see 100-300mm on it :p

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1 although I wonder if the E-PL3 will be pretty much the same thing plus a flip LCD.

9. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I like the look of it as a very low key street shooter with a pancake lens on there, although I am not looking to buy a new camera for a wee while.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wonder what it will be like to hold? I think the balance will be important in a small body like that. The lack of any sort of grip has me wondering if that would be a comfortable camera to have with you all day. It might be because of the size. Then again...

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what I'm thinking too, Amin... that the E-PL3 is going to be a tweaked version of this Mini, rather than a lighter version of the E-P3. We don't know what else is missing off this camera, so it could be more changes than just the flip LCD... for instance, maybe this camera has only touch screen, and the E-PL3 has some buttons/dials... who knows?

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I was thinking the same thing myself - a camera needs a grip. I was hoping it would share more styling with the e-pl2 on a smaller scale. The 4/3 rumor page says the e-pl2 will be essentially the same with some more external controls and the flip lcd. If that is it, I see an e-pl2 in my future, surely they'll be hitting the discount bin with 3 new models on the floor!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The larger the lens the more support you have on the lens itself, freeing you from holding the camera body. The body just needs a shutter release and metering control. ;)

I use various lenses on my PEN... with a pancake lens I hold the camera, with a fast super-telephoto I hold the lens. With a fast standard zoom I support from both ends. They're all as comfortable to me, but different.

14. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    i think the rumor mentioned it will be tilt rather than flip LCD, which is a tad disappointing (if it's true), nonetheless an improvement from the current pen. epl3 should retain a grip, unlike epm1.

15. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    What's the point of the EPL3??? There has to be enough product seperation between the 3 to justify making them.

EPM-3 .. more of true pocket camera, no flash. Probably lower max shutter speed i.e. 1/2000s Probably not fully manual control eithers. include M

EP-3.. fully manual, flash, probably 1/4000s shutter.

I don't really see where the EPL-3 fits in... a 1/2000s max with flash like the orginal EPL-1???? Why since the EPM-3 will be significantly more marketable then the EPL-3.

Gotta admit, I think I would like to have the EPM-3 along with the EP-3 ;-)

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think it's way too early to tell where the E-PL3 fits in, we have so little information on it yet.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You mean... not until tomorrow ;)

18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have been contemplating getting a high end compact in the future, such as the XZ-1, to complement the E-PL1 that I have.

Stick the 20mm pancake on this one though, and I'm not so sure I want an XZ-1 anymore. :cool:

Daytime and normal use: my E-PL1 (or possible E-P3 :wink: )

A night out or casual dinner: E-PM1 with pancake.

Looks good!

As far as the "why E-PL3" question - some people might want more "power" than the E-PM1 but do not want the extra capability (and probably more importantly, the $$$$) of the E-P3.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In regards to the question of "Why the E-PL3", I think the biggest thing we need to learn first is the specs on the E-PM1. There may be more missing off this camera than we realize just by looking at the photos, functions (or buttons/dials?) which may be retained by the E-PL3 in the same form factor. So maybe the question will turn into, "Why the E-PM1"? I'm willing to wait another day for the announcement before making any speculations. ;)

20. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Apart from the hot-shoe and IBIS (did they keep an accessory port?) I can't see that they've done enough to help people make a clear distinction from the GF3 (or a high end P&S like the xz-1).

I think for a Pen 'lite' they'd have been better off putting the guts of a m43 into the xz-1 with a similar fixed zoom lens to keep it compact. Similar to the Pen EES vs Pen F.

That way you'd have your cheap P&S, a step up to the xz-1, a step up to a Pen 'lite', a step up to a E-PLx and finally a step up to a E-Px

Depending on sales figures it may be they'd either keep the xz-1 or it would be superceeded by the Pen 'lite' as I suspect the market wouldn't sustain two cameras with such similar specs.

Then again I don't run a multi-million-dollar camera company so what do I know ?

Maybe we need a couple of new threads 'If I ran <insert favourite camera company name here> this is what I'd do . . .'