1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First image of the PL25 at 43rumors.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by WT21, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    And it looks like it is on pre-order on Amazon, to be released June 17, at a price of $1099.95. It says four thirds in the title and mounting type, but in the specs it says:

Model: 25mm Micro Four Thirds

So I dunno if someone is still editing this page?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's the image:

5824594432_44df19c44b_o.

Looks a bit smaller than I thought it would be. Unsurprisingly has similar look to the PL45. Hope it's a great performer.

I would be so much more psyched if it said "50mm Summicron" though!

3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

That would double the price at least :wink:

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think this is the old lens. The picture is the older 43 lens, and it says you can buy one used. So, Amazon is just churning some confusion there.

5. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Looks promising...but I want an aperture ring!!! I looks like a no-go considering this marketing photo doesn't show it. I hope it performs as it should!

6. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    You would rather it be f/2 than 1.4? Granted, summicron does imply slightly higher performance at a slightly lower price... but m43 needs all the lens speed it can get.

JohnMetsn has it backwards. Leica speak: (generally cost goes up and quality drops a little in this progression for a given focal length) Elmar = f 3.5 Elmarit = f 2.8 Summicron = f 2.0 Summilux = f 1.4 Noctilux = faster (and kind of dreamy) Add "ASPH." for extra $$$$ and performance.

Forgot Summarit = f 2.5 (and no "ASPH.")

• Like Like x 2
  7. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    It's definitely not the old one in that picture.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In the amazon US picture. Not the 43rumors picture

9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, gotta learn more about Leicas :smile:

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would rather it be 50mm than 25mm, and a cron would be smaller, lighter, and less expensive than a lux.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Mu-43 App

11. virginia bill

virginia bill New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2011
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Summicron? No chance

Amin wrote, "I would rather it be 50mm than 25mm, and a cron would be smaller, lighter, and less expensive than a lux."

No chance at all. Leica is unable to keep M-mount lenses in stock, so they'll devote no production capacity to making lenses for micro 4/3. You can, of course, buy an M-mount 'cron and use with an adapter.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I believe Amin may be referring to the fact that the Pan/Leica partnership is branding these, and he would prefer to have a 50mm 2.0 than a 25mm 1.4 -- 50mm because of the FOV and 2.0 to keep the lens small light -- but still made by Panny, with AF.

• Like Like x 1
  13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I agree about the 50mm bit, but I'd pay extra for the lux. You can always stop a 1.4 down. Not so easy the other way.

Actually, why not both?

Gordon

14. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Yep, there's a thought - physical aperture control on a modern lens again! Well, I suppose there're the Voigtlanders, but no AF...

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It does seem you generally get one or the other -- manual ap or AF, but not both.