First hi-res shots out of my E-M5II. Yes, you CAN show movement.

burdickjp

Mu-43 Veteran
Here are the first hi-res shots from my E-M5II. All the reviews said "no moving anything!" but I knew better; long night exposures blend moving water well:
P3130006.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P3130011.JPG

P3130016.JPG
P3130027.JPG

burdickjp

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm curious if an Oly 12mm f/2.0 would reduce flare compared to the 12-50 I'm using for wide angles now.
Also, where can I put these full sized so people can pixel peep and shake their heads at how crazy awesome hi-res mode is?

burdickjp

Mu-43 Veteran
I love the light and the framing.
These are directly out of the camera, and I'm definitely still learning how to do this, so I appreciate the compliment.
I'm hopeful for what this hi-res mode can mean for black and white photography. I hope open source tools can eventually read these raw formats.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
These are directly out of the camera, and I'm definitely still learning how to do this, so I appreciate the compliment.
I'm hopeful for what this hi-res mode can mean for black and white photography. I hope open source tools can eventually read these raw formats.
Agreed, I'm interested in seeing what tools like DSS, Hugin, PS, etc can do with such rich raw data with known offsets. I do stack blending quite often and it would be great to be able to just take a localised resolution hit if need be in order to deal with a blurred moving object.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting. At 100%, does it show any weird artifacts in the water? Multiple reviewers mentioned it with any kind of movement.

I'm curious if an Oly 12mm f/2.0 would reduce flare compared to the 12-50 I'm using for wide angles now.
Also, where can I put these full sized so people can pixel peep and shake their heads at how crazy awesome hi-res mode is?

flickr?

Agreed, I'm interested in seeing what tools like DSS, Hugin, PS, etc can do with such rich raw data with known offsets. I do stack blending quite often and it would be great to be able to just take a localised resolution hit if need be in order to deal with a blurred moving object.

raw data that could be processed with e.g. Hugin would be great, but i won't hold my breath.

burdickjp

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting. At 100%, does it show any weird artifacts in the water? Multiple reviewers mentioned it with any kind of movement.
Being night photography these are 8" exposures, which I think is about the only way to get away with it not looking so drasticly obvious.
BUT
P3130011.JPG

If you look at the ripples on the right side of this pic you can see what looks kinda like brush strokes. That's what you get. I think it looks kinda cool, actually.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Even just the 8 shifted RAW frames as separate files would be interesting to play with using the sub-pixel drizzle de-mosaic algorithm in DSS.

I don't know enough about the topic to figure out if you're making out words as you go or not (you lost me after the pixel :blush:), but at this point there are no RAW frames apart from the final, combined one. Who knows if Olympus will develop/allow it in one of the future firmware updates. I doubt it will, but i'm sure hugin and other software would be able to make the most out of it.

Even if Olympus does not allow 8 separate RAW files to be created, i think they will at least improve on the technology for making their RAW image, letting you have some degree of control over it, in Olympus Viewer.

Being night photography these are 8" exposures, which I think is about the only way to get away with it not looking so drasticly obvious.
BUT
If you look at the ripples on the right side of this pic you can see what looks kinda like brush strokes. That's what you get. I think it looks kinda cool, actually.

Yup, the brush strokes. Thx.

I don't think it can be applied everywhere, but it is good to at least have it as an option.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I don't know enough about the topic to figure out if you're making out words as you go or not (you lost me after the pixel :blush:), but at this point there are no RAW frames apart from the final, combined one. Who knows if Olympus will develop/allow it in one of the future firmware updates. I doubt it will, but i'm sure hugin and other software would be able to make the most out of it.

Even if Olympus does not allow 8 separate RAW files to be created, i think they will at least improve on the technology for making their RAW image, letting you have some degree of control over it, in Olympus Viewer.
It's not a new thing. NASA and astrophotographers have been doing it for a while, taking advantage of the natural shift in each frame provided by tracking mounts.

See this simple but impressive example here:
http://astropaul.blogspot.co.nz/2008/10/deepskystacker-bayer-drizzle-vs-non.html

What is interesting now is that Olympus have very precisely controlled shifts.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's not a new thing. NASA and astrophotographers have been doing it for a while, taking advantage of the natural shift in each frame provided by tracking mounts.

See this simple but impressive example here:
http://astropaul.blogspot.co.nz/2008/10/deepskystacker-bayer-drizzle-vs-non.html

What is interesting now is that Olympus have very precisely controlled shifts.

Thx for the link, will keep in mind if i venture into astrophotography. I had no idea you could stack files with different ISO values but i guess it's great to gain best of both worlds.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I was looking for a Hi Rez showcase thread to see what people think of it. This is the only one I found. Excellent pics.

What do you E-M5 Mk II owners feel of the Hi Rez mode? Are you using it? Any other nice shots?

burdickjp

Mu-43 Veteran
I was looking for a Hi Rez showcase thread to see what people think of it. This is the only one I found. Excellent pics.

What do you E-M5 Mk II owners feel of the Hi Rez mode? Are you using it? Any other nice shots?
I've been looking for somewhere to post up my hi res pictures full-size.
I use hi res a lot for my long exposure photography. It's limited to a maximum of 8" exposures, which makes it an interesting tool. For long exposure stuffs it means you're either running your ISO up or opening the aperture up beyond it's ideal. It's a balance, and that's what I enjoy.
The night I went out and grabbed those pictures I was there for hours, enjoying the sound of the water and the glow of the place. It's an excuse to spend time, slow down, and take it in.

Last edited:

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob

Not so unlike a slightly long exposure. I like it. It's a beautiful pic.

Latest threads

Top Bottom