1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First hand experience with both... one was returned!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Mar 5, 2011.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    When I bought a D-LUX 5, I sprung for the EVF... eecchhh!!!

Returned it ($379!!!) added less than $200 and got a E-PL2 kit. Last week, I hesitantly sprung for the VF-2. It arrived yesterday. All I can say is WOW!! what a difference. The Leica/Panny viewfinder is tiny and essentially unusable (I wear glasses, btw). The Oly VF-2 is awesome and will easily satisfy my lack-of-eyepiece blues.

If only THAT was a universal mount so it fit my D-LUX5...

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, agreed. Sux is a strong word - its still nice to have when its too bright see the LCD and you want to frame a shot. But I wouldn't want to spend anymore time looking through it than necessary. I'm constantly adjusting the diopter thinking its gonna come into tighter focus and it only gets so close. The Oly version is right there with the built-in evf in the GH2...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, the Olympus EVF is excellent. Sucks is a bit too much of the vernacular for my sensitivities.

That is very good to know about the GH2's built-in EVF, Ray. You know, I've never seen that camera in real life. It might be dangerous for me.:wink:

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nah, I don't think so. Its a relatively big camera in m43 terms. I wouldn't want it as a primary camera. Its a great purpose-specific camera and versatile enough to do other stuff too, but if I was gonna have one, that wouldn't be it...

-Ray

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have an EP1. I would like a VF, but I keep waiting for the EP3 (augh!)

I wonder if I should just move to an EP2 w/VF2. Nice thing about Oly -- they seem to be maintaining that accessory for their different models, which is appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I have one for my Gf1. It's nice to know it s*^ks....

Thanks for the well worded stellar review...

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm glad it didn't suck your eye out!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Sometimes the vernacular works so well though! "Sucks" was meant to convey an all-encompassing, lack of any redeeming value whatsoever (to me), across the board disdain for the product. "Sucks" was so much more succinct.

Especially compared to he oly VF, which is just awesome. I know there was an attempt to keep the Leica/Panny version on scale with the camera, and the oly is probably double the size by volume, but a little bigger to favor functionality wouldn't have hurt the end result, IMHO. Probably the first Leica product I've had that didn't meet my expectations.

Your experience may differ, contact your physician immediately, as this may be a sign of known, serious, side effect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Again. Wonderful command of the english language, while showing sensitivity to those who own the equipment...

Speaking for myself, and I have owned both the Oly µ43 cameras and the Panny µ43 cameras.

I try to be cautious and sensitive to other owners who have made an investment in their equipment, and are trying to both enjoy it, and satisfy any lingering doubts they may harbor their equipment choice, which for some folks here is a major investment of capitol.

Read the boards. There are many examples of young families who have purchased their µ43 equipment to make images of their children, For most the investment is steep. For others it's their first venture into a serious camera or photography.

This board has been a nice change of pace for many who quickly tired of the animosity, juvenile sniping and language that permeates many others of its kind. I for one would like to see it remain that way.

How about:

Found the Oly VF more to my liking

When compared, IMO, the Oly out performed

Oly has hit a home run with this VF

Panny will have to run to catch up with the superior performance of the Oly

I quickly discovered the Oly Vf was more to my taste

After using the Panny VF the Oly was a revelation to me

I'm super impressed with the Oly VF when compared to my previous experience with the Panny

Please consider others when offering such a harsh review..

• Like Like x 5
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Excuse me gentleman. I urge you to slow your typing, think about what you want to say and do so with the utmost respect for one another and all members of the forum.
    Thanks....Don

• Like Like x 3
  11. BBW

OK, let us review this site's rules and be nice.

We have to remember that we are a membership from different backgrounds and cultures. Perhaps I should have been more direct in my first post. "Sucks" is a common form of slang but for many of us it's not considered polite.

We are all going to have our personal likes and dislikes, however it is much more appropriate not to paint another's choices as terrible or unworthy or tell them what a poor choice they've made. The word "sucks" is a term that implies disgust and dismay.

Let's all consider our choices of words more carefully in the future. I'm not suggesting to be "politically correct" and never express one's opinion, but just to do it in more thoughtful way that takes into consideration the site's rules and other people's feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Okay, so I can't use the word "sucks" without risking upsetting someone else's sensitivities? I choose my words carefully. One of the great aspects of any language is using the color it affords.

I just want to be clear on this one, because I can replace "sucks" with "creates a vacuum-like environment" if it suit the boards better. The viewfinder sucks. That was the first word that came to my mind when I put the receipt for $379 on my desk, and the viewfinder on my camera. Don't know what word someone else might use, but then I'm not speaking (posting) for them. Sorry if you were offended.

SRHEdD (Steven R. Hicks, Ed.D.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

Steven, please read my post.

A great many things come into one's head but we all make the choice about what we're going to write or say. Clearly you have offended some people with your choice. Let's move on and use this as a learning tool.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Look my friend... Words contain emotion. Your English lesson, while maybe not intended to...could be read and felt as an insult.
    I know you understand.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Then please lock this thread before somebody posts something the others have to look up to understand. That level of over-sensitivity is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hmmmm... how about i decide to lock the thread or not.
    Let's see if the conversation can go on in a civil way....
    Thanks ... don

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Like most on the board I appreciate the civil tone that usually governs most conversations and while I would have probably not said that the Panasonic VF sucks I think it was a valid expression of the OP's dissatisfaction with the product. While I have not said in a post I can tell you there have been more than a few times that my response to a product has been just as blunt (if not more so). When you spend hard earned money for something it is understandable that someone reacts that way. As I read the responses it became clear that most posts were mentioning (in a good natured way) that perhaps the snap review was a bit over the top. IMHO offering up alternative ways to have said something can come off as patronizing and I find that just as undesirable a board feature as juvenile sniping and course language.

Let's all take a deep breath and see if we can find a more productive way to proceed.

FWIW, I don't find the Panasonic EVF to be particularly good. If you own a Panasonic GF1, GF2 or LX5 it's your only option and it is certainly better than nothing but compared to the Olympus VF2 to me it feels second rate. That said, I have an Olympus 14-42 that compared to the Panasonic offering is widely considered..."severely wanting". Sometimes we chose products for other reasons that whether or not they are the best.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Sure thing.

BTW, you could have PM'd me and I would have edited my post title. I respect the mods/admins, and would prefer the benefit of the doubt.

I don't respect others who have nothing better to do than wordsmith other members' posts with their own sensibilities. What if I found HIS language offensive in its banality? HE could have just moved on, skipped the thread, blocked my posts from showing up on his screen, etc., But HE chose to cause this, I'm just responding in kind.

I hope you at least convey to him the same message to "see if the conversation can go on in a civil way..."

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ok.... so, we are talking about finders, cameras, lenses....
    good....

20. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    respect

Respect is the ability to politely agree to disagree. To refuse to accept gentle rebuke in the spirit in which it is given shows the lack of maturity and respect.
    This site is a very friendly haven. Let us keep it so.
    Carefully

• Like Like x 2