First Flash: Which one? Metz 50 vs Oly 36r?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks! Always appreciate the help... I wish had the cam on me...but I could swear I did hit Info after and nothing worked.

I'll check as soon as soon as I get home...
If you go to Setup => Sprockets => Display => Control Settings, then whatever options you set to ON are the menus that will be cycled through whenever you hit INFO after bringing up a menu with the OK button.

Personally, I set SCP to ON with all modes, Live Control and Live Guide to OFF on all modes, then turn Art and Scene menus ON with their respective modes (not that I'll ever go into those modes, mind you... lol).

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Also, unless I didn't look hard enough...are flashes rated on how many cycles they should be good for?
I've not seen such a spec. What can happen is too many full power flashes in quick succession can melt parts. Better flashes have an auto shut down feature but others just melt.

My old Vivitar from ~1986 has easily flashed 10,000 times and still is going great.

MrKal_El

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you go to Setup => Sprockets => Display => Control Settings, then whatever options you set to ON are the menus that will be cycled through whenever you hit INFO after bringing up a menu with the OK button.

Personally, I set SCP to ON with all modes, Live Control and Live Guide to OFF on all modes, then turn Art and Scene menus ON with their respective modes (not that I'll ever go into those modes, mind you... lol).
Thanks again! yup...it was after pressing "Info" that it popped up...

SNTP

Mu-43 Regular

Thank you soooo much. It's a tricky little devil, but once you set it up, it's awesome!

I've noticed with my Metz that when shooting fill light and full power it really does take a while to cycle. Sometimes up to 20 seconds!

MrKal_El

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you soooo much. It's a tricky little devil, but once you set it up, it's awesome!

I've noticed with my Metz that when shooting fill light and full power it really does take a while to cycle. Sometimes up to 20 seconds!
The 50?

SNTP

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah the 50. It's only just started happening recently, but I think it's because i'm doing some very dark exposures so the fill light is pretty much running at full power. I was doing Christmas shots so i was setting the shutter to properly expose the lights and stuff, and my flash was filling in the people. Pretty much shooting one after another for like 6-7 shots and then it starts to take its time to cycle. But I have been noticing that it seems to be doing it more often than it was when i first bought it. I thought it might be the batteries but i've changed them to brand new ones and it still took a while. I'm going to try and buy some Eneloops and see if that helps anything. right now i'm using normal alkaline batteries.

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah the 50. It's only just started happening recently, but I think it's because i'm doing some very dark exposures so the fill light is pretty much running at full power. I was doing Christmas shots so i was setting the shutter to properly expose the lights and stuff, and my flash was filling in the people. Pretty much shooting one after another for like 6-7 shots and then it starts to take its time to cycle. But I have been noticing that it seems to be doing it more often than it was when i first bought it. I thought it might be the batteries but i've changed them to brand new ones and it still took a while. I'm going to try and buy some Eneloops and see if that helps anything. right now i'm using normal alkaline batteries.
That could be the thermal protection cutting in. Not sure if the 50 has thermal protection, or if it works that way (by slowing down the photographer by recycling slower, so as not to overheat the flash head), but it's a possibility.

SNTP

Mu-43 Regular
That could be the thermal protection cutting in. Not sure if the 50 has thermal protection, or if it works that way (by slowing down the photographer by recycling slower, so as not to overheat the flash head), but it's a possibility.
That's what I was thinking, I'll have to use it a little more this holiday season and test it out a bit.

flaxseedoil1000

Mu-43 Regular
My first test shots with the Metz 50 AF-1 on my GH2

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic GH2, 20mm lens, ISO 160, f/1.7, 1/60, Metz AF-1 flash used in TTL mode

Panasonic GH2, 14-140mm lens - 70mm(140mm) - f/5.8 - 1/125 - ISO 160, Metz AF-1 flash used in TTL mode

Panasonic GH2, 20mm lens, ISO 160, f/1.7, 1/2000, Metz AF-1 flash used in TTL mode, cropped

Sun is behind him, face would be too dark without the flash

From my Amazon review:

Seems to play well with the GH2, TTL mode gets the exposure right most of the time.

Has manual mode if you want to get creative / have to deal with difficult lighting.

Couple of cons:

Settings for less used functions (such as servo or slave mode)take some extra buttons pushes as you toggle through the options. Some of the icons on the lcd are really small too.

Doesn't work in servo mode with the GH2 at this time. Servo mode is when the flash is off the camera and is triggered when the camera's internal flash fires. The GH2 has a preflash that cannot be disabled. This triggers the Metz flash too early. However Metz has issued firmware to deal with this on other models, such as those for Sony and Pentax, so they should do the same for this flash.
HTH

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom