First fist attempt at HDR

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by JayPeg, Apr 25, 2013.

1. JayPeg

JayPeg New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2012

Attached Files:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The first is a little overcooked for my taste, but unlike the composition. The second isn't really a scene that requires extending your camera's dynamic range.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I agree that the first image is simply "too much" HDR, it doesn't look natural, particularly with the extreme blue shading. That's not to say it's a bad image, but my tastes with regard to HDR are to achieve a very subtle look that simply compensates for the sensors ability to capture light in the same way that the eye does. That image screams "HI, I'M AN HDR SHOT."

The second is much more pleasing.
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I like them both, and doubt either is HDR.
    The first is a spooky blue tonemap, nice in the way that IR-converted cameras sometimes take scenes.
    The second looks like a long exposure with normal dynamic range. I like the cold hazy misty stuff blowing from the rooftop.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Interesting - I prefer the second, but I do like the first. It's a bit extreme but sometimes that has its' own artistic value. Nice! :cool:
  6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I think the first would be much better without the bluish tint. Did you use some kind of a filter? I like the dramatic effect, but would remove the tint in post.