1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First experiment with light painting, images attached

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by emptysensor, Jul 1, 2012.

1. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    During an extended power outage this weekend I had some help from my son and we attempted some light painting. It's really not that hard to do with a little setup and practice. I used my GX1 with a 25-30s exposure at f/7 on the manual setting, and manual focus on my 7-14, on a tripod. We used an LED flashlight to "paint" once the shutter opened. It takes a little practice to get the right flashlight size and the right amount of ambient light "spillover" from the flashlight. I hope to try it again with more effort put on the composition. Give it a try - it's a lot of fun.

With this one he traced around me and shined the light directly into the lens to get the bright flashes. I stood as still as I could for the 25 seconds.

7482869916_ea51b16ff5_b.

With this one I wrote on an imaginary plane, turning the light on and off when I started and stopped each character. The light shining on the ceiling came from the flashlight shining upward. The fun part is that you have to write backwards. It definitely takes some thinking to get it right.

7482866212_c27ef653f9_b.

• Like Like x 12
  2. JIA333

JIA333 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    The Caribbean
    Yeidy
    Wow, that's neat!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Very neat, I did something similar on a camping trip with a couple of friends since we were all interested in photography. We did some with multiples of ourselves in the same shot by shining the light on ourselves briefly in different locations and spelled out the name of another forum we frequent. Lots of neat stuff possible and it sure is fun to play with :biggrin:

4. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks. It would be cool to do the multiples you mentioned. Something like this probably doesn't have a lot of use in traditional shots, but I think it does make you think more about the light, which in the end is helpful.

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like you're having heaps of fun. These photos bring back memories to when I was doing the similar things:smile:

I like the first picture! It looks like you're fully submerged in some supernatural power. I hope you use it for good and not evil:smile:

No empty sensors from now on...

6. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Very cool! I think light painting is a hugely underused effect. It doesn't always have to be glaringly obvious.
    Here's a shot I took this past spring and used a dim flashlight to illuminate each of our faces a bit. My face is the brightest one.
    GF1, 20mm, f1.7, ISO 400, 25secs.
    P1080743.JPG

Acer

7. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Icon, we were actually trying to do something like a superhero thing. Problem is I think I'd need another foot in height and 100 pounds of muscle to be more convincing :) As PhotoMan I would only use my powers for truth, justice, and the betterment of all photographers worldwide.

Acer, that's a good use of the effect. I think if I do something similar again, I might try to make it more subtle like that.

• Like Like x 1