First Edit in Portrait, plz your help, your advice !!!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by PantelisMor, Feb 19, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.

I try to edit a portrait with Lightroom 5. Plz tell me your opinion, my mistakes.

Thx a lot

Before
    PMoromalos_20140209_0049-2.

After
    PMoromalos_20140209_0050.

2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    TBH, I like the before shot better. Looks more "lively", and vibrant. I also guess, that the person in the picture won't appreciate the heavy editing of her skin. What's wrong with the top picture? Maybe add a little negative clarity to the skin, without changing its tone, make the eyes and hair pop a bit, and you're done. Oh, and remove those dark veils in the top right corner. My eyes keep jumping between the face, and the corner - distracting!

You have a nice composition, perfectly diffused light, and a very natural smile from a seemingly a lovely person. What do you want more? Sometimes less is more :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    your editing is a little overdone but lovely and romantic, but hey who am I to judge! It's your photo and your model, you do what you gotta do!

Here is my take on it.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/8795830@N03/12643923055/player/4ebece4ec8" height="659" width="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Upped the contrast in IRIS a bit, some spots removal, selective sharpening, less yellow tone, upped vibrancy and clarity, whitening the eyes, and cropping to make it more balanced regarding the face distorsion. It was done on your jpeg with LR5 then PS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot for your help guys..... Orfeo , i like your pic, especially cropping.. These days i saw some tutorials in youtube for portait edit. By any chance you know any good video tutorial ?

Thx a lot...

5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    PMoromalos_20140209_0049-21.

Here is my version.
    1) Tidied up the skin but tried to keep the original contrast
    2) Got rid of stray hairs on the face that I found distracting
    3) Darkened back gound
    4) Added a vignette around her face.

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Heres the tip :

I look for balance in an overall composition, that is why I cut out the right part, it wasn't relevant to have such a close up on her face and so much nothingness on the right, to me it wasn't balanced.

Also, square composition in portrait always works well (search for rolleiflex portraits example)

I cropped the very top part of her head because when you do so, it concentrates the attention of the viewer on the eyes of the model. This is a universal trick, and one often overlooked by photographies profane because of the beginner syndrome "Framing it all". Search framing for cinema image composition, you will get what I mean.

Cutting, cropping, and don't hesitate to left things out of the frame is where a photographer should start in the beginning.

8. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    It looks like you used the "skin softening" preset, which is fine, but deselect/erase the eyes and lips, because now her face is soft and nothing is in focus.

If you shot in raw, it might be nice to try to bring some of the sky back from being so blown-out/overexposed. If not, well then oh well.

Lightroom is great for some things, and I do most of my initial processing there. Then I move over to photoshop, where I would have (in your case) removed at least that stray hair across her face by her mouth.

Her skin tones and the rest of her face look fine, I actually prefer your edit. But the eyes look a little dull. I would have either *increased exposure on the sclera/whites, and increased saturation on the irises, and decreased exposure on her pupils* or used whatever lightroom preset they have for doing basically the same thing. I love the look of her dark brown eyes in the unedited one.

Also the scarf looks dull and I would have made that more vibrant/saturated. Unless you were going for a washed-out sunbleached look.

I don't mind the weird composition, because the background still tells a story, and makes me wonder where that cliff is and want to go there. If it was cropped into a square or something, it wouldn't have that same appeal.

Did you increase the overall exposure? It looks maybe like you did.

Also a vignette sometimes helps with portraits, but I'm not sure how much of one you could fit in with her head being so close to the bottom left of the picture.

Additionally, it helps to have an accurate monitor. Whoever just posted his crop edit is very saturated and contrasty and looks bad. Maybe the gamma needs to be adjusted on your monitor, friend.

Anyway good luck, keep shooting.

9. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Your pic is amazing........

Which apps did you use ;; how can i add vignette around face ;;