First E-P3 images

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by AdamThirtle, Jun 26, 2011.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Ok. Serious case of camera envy growing up here. Must... resist... GAS... AAAAAAARrrrrrgggh !!

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 43Rumors post actually refers back to photorumors.com, who seems to be the first to post (??). At photorumors.com, the next post down talks about EP3 specs. It says 600K+ dot screen. Faster AF, better LCD, pop-up flash, 1/4000 shutter (I'm assuming, given that it's EPx) -- I've got my next camera body lined up. One nice thing about Oly -- many times their products are available after announcement, so I might be able to shoot with this in July (as opposed to other unnamed m43 vendors :) )

4. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Yep, it does refer back to photorumors, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the first images.

The camera looks just like the E-PL2 and E-P2 had a baby and it got all of the best features of both.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Body and style wise I'm a little let down, it's niw a craptastic epl2, what happened to the e-p's having an all metal build, and style. Features sound great, but looks I'll keep my e-p2. I really didn't like the e-pl2 feel. And this looks to have the same disappointing feel, and grip. Swing and a miss for my hands.

6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I am seriously excited now!!!

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    From what little I can make out of the low quality pictures, it seems to me it has much in common with the white e-p1. Painted metal looks odd, but maybe we can expect a brushed metal outer shell too. Then again, the form factor looks closer to e-p1/2 than e-pl2, but I reckon it's just a guess.

The only thing that's keeping me from devising a scheme to rob a bank right now in oder to buy one as soon as it hits the shelves, is the useless onboard flash. Had it been an embedded EVF... who knows ?

Cheers,

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Never been a fan of the E-PL2 styling so I'm disappointed to see the E-P3 go that way. Then again maybe it's and E-PL3 and Olympus still has a skookum E-P3 in the wings.

9. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Looks good but I don't think I'll be upgrading the EP1 just now

10. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    It looks the same doesn't it (as the previous models)? No evf and no tilty screen...

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Don't think so,show me that hump on top on an e-p1/2, and grip looks like e-pl2 . Don't see a flip screen so I don't think it's the e-pl3 plus it has a flash which I believe the e-pl3 is supposed to be without.

12. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC

he epl2 has flash,i highly doubt epl3 wont.

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    +1

+1

well, their flagship had previously been known for it's style and to me it looks a lot more like the E-PL series. I'm sure it'll be a competent camera, but I'm not "upgrading".

14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    If that grip had an alternative low profile version, the camera would be much closer to the E-P1/2 design. I wish that pop up flash had been an EVF instead.

Otherwise, the major excitement for me is the new (S)HG 12mm f2 and the new sensor - I hope this thing will advance image quality significantly for (m)4/3rds

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I would have expected an articulated LCD or an EVF (or both) on the E-P3. Since its hard to see any details I still think this might be the E-PL3. So far I am not seeing a real compelling reason to upgrade. From the standpoint of being competitive the new sensor had better be forged in the flames of awesome because I think the design isn't going to turn many heads. It's not ugly at all but it doesn't have the sexiness of the original E-P1 and E-P2. Looks a bit like it was designed by committee.

Then again what do I know?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The e-pl3 according to reports has flip screen, but no flash. By your reasoning here, then the e-pl3 won't have flip screen cause e-pl2 doesn't have one? Check the rumors that have been front page news on this forum for the last week or there abouts... Just going off what has been stated, and taken with a grain of salt.

17. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    New sensor "forged in the flames of awesome"... I love it, you should work for Olympus marketing :biggrin:

I'm sure hoping so too.

Cheers

Brian

18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The lens is interesting. The camera less so for me. There is no EVF. The sensor will likely be an improvement, perhaps even a major one, but is unlikely to seriously outperform that in the G3.

It will have IBIS, but that is of minor use in my shooting.

Clearly we have to await testing etc, but after 18 months of GF1 and 6 months of EP2, I know that for my shooting a built-in EVF is an essential.

In the G3 I am offered an excellent sensor, the EVF, an articulating screen and a size the same or even smaller (in some dimensions ) than the GF1 / EP2 generation with their external EVFs.

The much touted faster focusing is nice, but I have never missed a shot because of slow focusing on my GF1 and found the EP2 adequate. The G3 is already faster than either. My feeling is that Olympus were hammered (somewhat unfairly I think) for the EP1 / 2 focus and will make a big deal of this. Good for them on the improvement, but I suspect that if the G3 is matching most DSLRs and this new camera is faster, the issue has gone away.

I am sure it will be a nice camera, but I feel they really lost an opportunity in not using the flash space for an EVF.

So we will get a built-in flash, faster focus (probably at the level it should have been in the EP2) and a better sensor (the earlier one was very far from being a disaster). I expected something with more strength and depth, and hoped for something that would leap ahead just a bit and at least cast a minor shadow over the competition. I don't see that here.

A reasonable evolution of a very good camera. Nothing wrong with that, but I had expected more.

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I just keep sitting wondering why they wouldn't give the E-PL3 a pop up flash, and yet give one to the E-P3? This has turned full circle from the original E-PLx and E-Px models.....

The E-PLx is, I would imagine, aimed more at upgraders from P&S, so I can't see them shifting too many of them to that market with no flash..... I can't imagine using any Pen with a full-sized hotshoe flash perched precariously on the top of it either.....

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Could this just leave an opening for a 4 camera line-up? Something above the E-P3 with form of the E-P1/2 but with built-in EVF (and tiltable LCD).