First decent camera, post and question (E-PM1)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrisdors, Nov 29, 2011.

1. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi all- I just picked up an E-PM1 from best buy after much reading (too much out there on the Internet to ever fully absorb). So far- very happy with what I have discovered about the camera. I have the 14-42 kit lens, and the E-VF2 viewfinder.

I have 1 question for the forum (so far)- I would like a prime lens in the 14-25mm size to begin my lens collection. Is the lens of choice (read:best value) for this camera still the Panasonic 20 f1.7? I suppose my budget is under $450. I don't plan on taking too many low-light photos as I get started, but some low-light capability would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Welcome. I'm sure someone with direct knowledge will be along shortly to help you out. It's early on this side of the planet. I hear good things about that lens. May be the best choice taking price and all things into consideration. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Yeah- I was just a bit confused if people have any problems when on an Olympus body. Seems some people say there are issues- and others rave about the lens/oly combo without ever mentioning downsides. :confused:
  4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Welcome to the forum. I'm one of those having difficulty with the 20mm on my E-P3. Other than the periodic auto-focus issues in certain low-light conditions, the lens is a gem. In fact, it is one of my favorite lenses in daylight shooting. It is fast, sharp, has an ideal field-of-view (for me), and has one of the best minimal focus distances this side of a macro lens. If you're not going to shoot much in low-light, then I would recommend it without reservation.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For the size and current price, the 20/1.7 is REALLY hard to beat, especially on the small-bodied cameras.

Sure, the AF is not so fast and the aperture a bit noisy, but those are easy to live with when the pocketability, light gathering, and image quality is soooooo good.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For that price and focal length, yes.

For a higher price, the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton are better.

For different focal lengths, the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 and m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 are better.

For that focal length and price, the 20mm f/1.7 is still the best. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    The first thing after buying my E-PM1 was getting a 14mm. I have the 20mm and may keep it until I get a 45mm, but the 14mm looks ever so great on the tiny oly body, makes it really pocketable and 14 * 2 = 28mm used to be my favorite for snapshots.
  8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    E-PM1 + Leica 25mm + VF-2 is probably one of the best value combo for $1000 (~$300 body if sell the kit lens + $449 EPP special + $199 EVF)

9. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Anyone mind letting me know how/where I can find that lens for $449? (my company isnt an EPP member it appears)
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The 20mm is really the ideal m43 lens with two exceptions:

1. Autofocus speed - can be a bit slow. Is it a big deal? Not for me most of the time, for what I shoot.

2. Aperture rattle. Again not a big deal for me. You get used to it, plus it doesn't happen all that often.

Remember the f/1.7 is not only for low light, but you can get some nice shallow DOF with it too. The Panny 20mm is still a fantastic lens - it hits all the right spots: very compact, fast, fair price, and excellent image quality (sharp).
  11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris, you may want to stick that 14-42mm lens on your camera, and see which focal length you like better, because remember you'll be stuck at one zoom setting with one of those lenses:
    There's no right answer here, it's all personal preference. The Panasonic 20mm is regarded as the best bang for your buck as far as price/performance, but if you like the 17mm field of view, the Olympus lens can be had for $120-$140 in the buy/sell section, which is a great deal. It has some optical deficiencies, but it is still probably 80% of the performance for less than half the price of the 20mm, and some people just love that classic, slightly wider than normal perspective. The 14mm is wide, as you will notice. If you find that you are always racked out to this focal length on your zoom lens, you may want to pick up the Panasonic 14mm. If you want a more "normal" field of view, then the 25mm is for you, but realize that the downsides are price and size, as this lens is not a pancake by any stretch.

You just missed Black Friday, in which Panasonic extended their EPP pricing to everyone. Your best bet is just to scour the buy and sell section, or maybe someone here will be nice enough to help you, but after tax and shipping you aren't going to be saving much money.
    • Like Like x 1