First Day with the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datagov, Oct 31, 2013.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    My E-M1 arrived today. I had pre-orders with Amazon, B&H, and Olympus but ended up buying one from a member. I have an E-M5 with the JB Grip, and the differences in weight and dimension are negligible. The EM1 is 15 grams heavier, a cm wider, and a cm shorter than the EM5 with the JB Grip. I travel a lot and walk with the EM5 in my hand and the JB grip makes it very easy to carry it around all day. My sense is that the EM1 grip is more comfortable to shoot with but less comfortable to carry around all day. The grip protrusion is not completely vertical so you only have 3 fingers to grip it when you walk and on the JB grip I had four.

The camera powers up and operates much more quickly and smoothly than the EM5. It is noticeable in every function. I took the camera to a high school volleyball game today and tried out the new C-AF-TR function with an O45. It seemed to track in CD mode and I can't figure out how to get it to work in PD mode. Overall, autofocus feels a little faster than the EM5, but its not a big difference.

The viewfinder is larger and overall more clear. It is brighter too and you can see the action better.

One thing I love is that when you put a MF lens on the camera it automatically detects this and switches to MF mode. No more futzing with mysets to shoot MF lenses. Its easy to set the function buttons too. It seems a lot of attention was paid to making this camera really easy to operate. It is far more intuitive than the EM5.

The JPEGs looked the same to me. Couldn't see much difference with the EM5. I will take it out and shoot in daylight tomorrow, and report back more results.

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    FYI, with a 4/3 lens it used PDAF for everything. With a m4/3 lens it uses CDAF for S-AF and uses a "mix" of CDAF and PDAF for C-AF or C-AF+TR. There is no setting for this, it's all under the hood "magic".

3. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I too had the 3 finger grip issue that was resolved with adding the RRS grip.

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Maybe you'll be the first one on the forum to post side by side outdoor jpeg images of the E-M1 vs the E-M5. That would help alot of us E-M5 owners decide whether to get the E-M1. Some sample E-M1 jpegs I've seen on the net like this one look outstanding in regard to overall brightness, colors and detail resolution: http://imageshack.com/a/img826/1817/h7n8.jpg

5. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Had a chance to shoot some macro with the camera and my Tokina 90mm f2.5. The new EVF makes a difference with macro. It is MUCH easier to see focus even without magnification and the larger VF lets you see more fine details. The LCD is also sharper so now it is easy to tell the difference between my 40-150 and some legacy glass like the Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 IN CAMERA. On the E-M5 I would have to shoot several photos and then compare them in the computer to see the differences. Its obvious now in the EVF and in the LCD.

I think I still like the dimensions of the E-M5 overall better but the E-M1 is a nicer camera to work with. Just so much easier to access the functions. It is raining here in NY today so I doubt I will have an opportunity to shoot landscape comparisons with the E-M5 in good light. We'll see.

6. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
  7. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks interesting. But the RRS base has a dovetail on it, so it acts as an arca-style quick-release plate. The JB one seems to be square, so it adds nothing more than height. On my EM5, having an essentially permanent quick release plate from the RRS grip has been very useful.

8. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Side by side images will almost certainly convince you not to buy the EM1. However, get the EM1 in your hands, work the buttons and knobs, look through the viewfinder, and you'll reach the exact opposite conclusion. The major upgrade in the EM1 is that it's easier to use up to the moment it takes the shot, and more likely to get the shot when the moment happens. And honestly, having perfect color isn't very useful if the shot is badly exposed because you had the wrong settings, or out of focus because you were using an older lens.

• Like Like x 2
  9. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Yes, I understand but I didn't buy a m43 to lug a tripod around the world.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

10. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Perhaps. But what I see already using my old Tokina is that my keeper rate is much improved because I can see focus better with the evf.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

11. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I was waiting to see if RRS would design an L-plate for the E-P5 but looks like the E-M1 is the only new M43 model to get the treatment. I do lug a tripod around the world and the RRS L-plate on my E-P3 not only makes it easier to hold, but is the ultimate arca plate. I guess that means I have to buy an E-M1 so I can continue using a RRS L-plate. Can't make up a better excuse than that!

12. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Shooting with this camera is such a joy! The shutter requires just a soft touch and it fires quickly without shaking the camera. Focus is easy and clear with MF lenses. And ISO 100 shows no noise in JPEG. It is a effortless to compose and shoot.

13. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Low ISO is a treat. Stunning clarity and no noise. Took this one today.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Yes, the low ISO JPEGs are really great. I normally shoot only RAW, but have been shooting both while waiting for Lightroom to get full support.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The soft touch shutter is an underappreciated feature - really reduces vibrations. I wish more cameras had this. In conjunction with 5-axis IBIS and an electronic shutter mode it should allow shooting at much lower shutter speeds than have been possible previously.

16. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Does the E-M1 have an option for "electronic shutter mode?" I was trying to look that up and I'm thinking it is all mechanical. On the WikiPedia specs it says "Mechanical / Electronic." I'm interested in whether the E-M1 shutter produces less vibration than the E-M5 shutter.

--Dave

17. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Dave, the shutter is mechanical and it also produces less vibration than the E-M5.

18. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Here's another one from today

Jpeg sooc

• Like Like x 1