1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First day with 25mm Summilux

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by AlexH, May 1, 2012.

1. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    UPS drove up around midday, so I hurried and finished a project I was working on so I could go out and some fun with my new lens. Shot with a GH2 + 25mm Panasonic Leica Summilux f/1.4. This is just a sampling from the landscape end of things, enjoy!

7130680345_358663e8c7_c.
    Lone tree sunset by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

6986810680_8e4f9723bf_c.
    At work by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

• Like Like x 13
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Fantastic colours in that sunset!

• Like Like x 1
  3. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    WOW! NICE!

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Gotta love that lens! :cool:

5. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I do! There's just something a little bit extra special about the way it renders things.

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful shots ALex and second shot is a gem .U can give Ctein a run for his money ..lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    did you end up keeping your 25 Bhupinder?

8. Bhupinder2002

Hi Duke
    I sold it and I am gonna buy 20 mm Panny after my OMD arrives. It was a nice lens but size was bothering me actually .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I need to get one of these lenses. I just wish I could test it first to make sure I get no "rattle-snaking"

10. Bhupinder2002

Rattle snake is over exaggerated and not a problem in real life .I used this lens on my EPL2 and it never bothered me actually .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I keep seeing videos of it going crazy on the O-MD....and then some where its not doing anything. Thats why I wish I could test it before I buy it :(

12. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I have yet to test it on my E-P2, I've only used it so far on my GH2, but after having used it a few days, I would use it whether it did the rattle snake thing or not. The images it can produce are just so sweet.

Just my .02 worth...

• Like Like x 1
  13. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Mine doesn't rattle on the OMD but I had one that did on the EP3...guess that doesn't quite help xD

14. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't seen a video of it on the OM-D. The video I saw was on a PEN.

That video exaggerated the problem in my view, but it exaggerated it in order to demonstrate it. How did it exaggerate it?

Well, first, the camera was being waved around so the amount of light falling on the sensor was changing all the time. On my E-P3 the rattle occurs when light falling on the sensor increases as the camera is pointed towards a brighter area, then it settles and stops after a couple of seconds at most. It doesn't keep going on and on unless the camera keeps getting moved from pointing into shadow to pointing at something bright again and that's what was happening in the video. That doesn't happen when I'm out shooting with it so it doesn't keep making a noise like that for me, and I'll bet it doesn't for most people.

Second, it's quite loud on the video I saw but it's a lot less loud on my camera. I suspect the person making the video turned the mic level up as far as they could in order to capture the sound since they were holding the camera making the video some distance away from the camera the lens was mounted on. The end result is that, in my view, the noise level on the video when I played it on my computer was a lot louder than what I hear with my camera and lens when I'm out shooting with it. Even moderate levels of background noise can mask it totally for me and even when it's audible, it isn't loud. I don't find it a bother though some people obviously do.

I don't think the person who made the video I saw was deliberately trying to make the problem out as being worse than it is. They made a video which demonstrated the problem quite well. I think it was probably not possible to do that well without keeping the camera moving and the noise going, and without measuring the actual noise level in decibels and telling you what that level was so that you could match the output of your speakers to that level, I suspect it's hard to avoid listening to the video with the noise at a louder level than it is in real life.

The 25 is my favourite lens, rattle and all on an E-P3, and the rattle is occasional and not overly loud in my experience. It really only occurs only a small proportion of the time I have the lens on the camera and the camera turned on. I'm still waiting for my OM-D to arrive so I can see how it goes on that body.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Both are beautiful!!!

16. Amurdaugh

Amurdaugh New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2011
    Springfield, Mo
    Its by far my favorite lens.

It gets way more use on my E-P3 than my GH2 though, and I don't really even notice the noise.