First Day Out E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PeterJ1967, Nov 23, 2013.

1. PeterJ1967

PeterJ1967 New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Finally got a day outside with a new E-PL5 matched with the Lumix 20mm 1.7

I had traded in a Nikon D200 and the 18-200 VR kit lens, as I rarely used it. The PL5 takes better pictures and as you know is much smaller. All in all I am very pleased.

The menus are a bit confusing, and the touch screen and buttons can be a bit touchy, but that I think I'll get used to with time. Every camera has it quirks and it's just a matter of understanding them and working with them instead of fighting against them.

I have been drop dead impressed with the high ISO performance. I really couldn't use the D200 past 400 and just playing around with PL5 at 1600 or so, it really does take amazing pictures.

I like how the camera feels in hand. I usually shoot Aperture priority, and with the control dial set for aperture control it works nicely. I think that will even work with a viewfinder. I do on occasion press a bit hard and then you get the flash menu. Not the end of the world, just one of those things.

With the 20mm lens, I also think it has a fairly classic look, it looks like what I would call a camera, if you know what I mean.

I may opt for a viewfinder, but want to better understand how it functions in condition with the touchscreen.

All in all very pleased, couple samples from today.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Yeah that lens is perfect for crispy leaves and such.
  3. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice job! I shoot 95% in A mode, as well, and my only nit with my E-PL5 is the control wheel. Yes it get's the job done, but not the most elegant solution. Otherwise great little camera. The Pan 20 is a great match for that body, as is the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 if you're ever looking for a wider lens-really tiny and sharp. Enjoy your new camera!
  4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Congrats on your new camera, I bought an EPL5 myself this week.
  5. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

You're off to a good start. It's a fun camera. Nice shots.

I use the VF-2 viewfinder when I'm outside - it's a big help.

The 20mm was my first lens. It was an excellent choice. I love the 40mm perspective - very useful.
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Now for the Oly 45 - can't have the 20 without the 45, just one of those unwritten laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  7. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes...the 45 is a MARVELOUS lens! A must! Best for portraits and proper facial proportions.
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats :2thumbs: beautiful camera and beautiful pictures . Get 45 mm 1.8 and u will be having a blast .
  9. kj6grx

kj6grx New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2013
    Very nice results with the 20 mm lens!

I recently purchased an E-PL5, IMO, the EVF (VF-2) turns a good camera into an exceptional
    camera. I did not enjoy the lcd, heck, if I wanted that I would use my iPhone.

Enjoy your new camera.

Best Regards,
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I debated between getting the VF4 for the Epl5 or getting a used EM5. I went with the EM5 because of the better IBIS (I'm not the steadiest shooter) but I still have questions about that decision. The PL5 with the VF4 would have been such a pleasure to shoot with.
  11. SS76

SS76 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    I just got the 12mm as that is what I shoot the majority of my photo's with, however now trying to decide on my next lens. I really want the 25mm 1.4, but the size difference compared to the 20mm 1.7 has me thinking twice. I'm unsure of the 20 due to the AF speed, along with what I believe to be a nicer perspective of the 25mm. I'm thinking I would use this next lens for intentional photo's rather than my everyday lens which the 12mm would be, or even my 14-42 MKII kit lens (I also bought the EPL5).
  12. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I had the EPL5 a great little camera by the way,but stepped up to the EP5+VF4 for the better controls and 5 axis ibis
  13. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    It is a pleasure!
  14. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I'm debating between getting a silver VF-3 atop my black E-PL5, or a VF4. I'm only concerned that the VF4 would look too big on the tiny PL5 (which is what I got it for). What are your thoughts on that?
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Gary you have to be aware the VF-3 is the worst EVF for Olympus, despite its name.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Well, out of a set of viewfinders, there'll always be a worst. But worst doesn't necessarily mean bad. :) But I know what you mean. Thank you.
  17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    The VF4 is only a hair larger than the VF2, a viewfinder that is commonly used on this body. Look up the measurements before deciding.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    It is a bit large on the e-pl5, but I had the VF-3, It's profile is only a bit smaller, but the the quaility of the 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 3, even the 2, which I just traded up from. I can take it off if becomes a prob. Besides, VF-4 is on sale for $199 this week and the 3 for $99. Well worth the extra $100.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

I had the VF3, and it was fine. Now I have the VF4, and the improvement is amazing! Not too large for the E-PL5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Well, it seems I'm not the only person to get a EPL5 in the last week! I have to say I love it - it's a little powerhouse. I already have EM5s and an EM1 but the EPL5 gives me even more freedom since it's a bit smaller and lighter. In fact I intend to take it everywhere with me. The Panasonic 14-42PZ pancake zoom lives on it and if I need extra light I can use the 17mm f2.8 which was free as part of a promotion at John Lewis. I really like the fact that external viewfinders are available. Prices are ghastly here in the UK so I bought the VF3 (£129 at Amazon). I decided against the VF2 because the price was almost twice as much and I was worried that the absence of a locking mechanism might result in a loss, particularly as I move around a lot while I shoot. The VF3 is perfectly adequate for my needs, I don't need ultrahigh resolution or bright colours to compose my photographs, so I am quite happy with it. The main thing is that it stays nice and bright on a sunny day.

Mstoeckle, your camera looks sensational. Unfortunately I didn't see the EPL5 in black with a silver top plate (mine is all black, and I would have preferred some silver on it). I love the way you've accessorised your camera, I wouldn't mind a leather half case like that.

This may be a figment of my imagination, but the IQ from the EPL5 actually looks even better than that from the excellent EM5, it seems to give me a little bit of extra highlight recovery. I would guess that being a newer camera it probably has the latest in camera software, which is probably what is making the difference.

For any ladies reading this, I can put it into a small padded makeup purse which easily fits into any of my normal everyday handbags. For general outings and when out walking, I have a range of Kipling bags which are fantastic for carrying a small camera and a few essentials - these bags are rugged, ultra lightweight, and can be wiped clean if you get mud on them.