1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

First custom plate for the 40-150?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Rasmus, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Great news. Thanks for sharing this. I hope they make the plate longer than the foot, so it works with dovetail mounted flash brackets. I have a 100mm generic plate on mine now, and often wish it was longer. It will be nice to have an option that will fit the odd profile of the foot, for anti rotation.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Remind me what these are used for... mounting flashes? what else?

Thanks,
    Barry

4. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    It's a fitted arca plate for the lens. Since it only has one mounting hole, and the shoulders on the lens foot aren't really square, it can be tough to get a solid mount between arca plate and lens foot that doesn't rotate. A fitted plate will incorporate an anti-rotation shoulder fitted perfectly to the lens foot, so when it's tightened down, it won't be able to turn at all. Typically such plates have dual dovetails, and are longer than the factory foot. The length makes it easier to find balance, as well as give you somewhere to mount a flash bracket. Many flash brackets for use with long lenses are meant to mount from above, securing to the upper dovetails on the arca plate that the lens is mounted to.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. faithblinded

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    You can kinda see what I mean here if you look at my rig. The 40-150 has a 100mm arca plate on it, which extends past the lens foot. The flash bracket clamps on to the part of the arca plate that extends past the foot, from above. That's why you want dual dovetails, not just lower ones.
    i-24LFmSf-XL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Good find. Thanks for posting!

7. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Ken, Spot on! I have their custom plate for the 150/2 and their custom foot for the 300/2.8, and both provide the benefits that you describe. It took them forever to process my order, but the product I got was excellent.