1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

First commerical gig with m43 system. Airsoft!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Saelee, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I've been shooting with Nikon for many years and always wanted a smaller system for to carry around. When I bought the gx1 and g5, a lot of my peers said I was crazy to think that I can use it in the professional world. All of these images where shot with the Panasonic G5 and Olympus 12mm/45mm and the Sigma 30mm lens. I loved the fact that I was able to pack all of my gears and flash into my camera bag and still have room for more stuff. If it was my D700, the camera and lens alone will take up the whole bag! I like to shoot at low angles and with the flipped out LCD screen, it made it very easy for me to frame the image.

Most importantly the image quality. I won't lie, my D700 output a higher quality image, BUT only really noticeable if you try to spot the flaws on the images form the G5. So basically, unless if you are a pixel peeper, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference if you viewed it from a normal viewing point.

Here are a series of images that I did for a good friend of mine.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 31
  2. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Great shots, I particularly like the last shot.

3. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    They're like straight out of a movie. A Call of Duty movie.

(side note: I mean no offense but your watermark reminds me of a cake shop... :D must be that red and white scheme.)

4. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Great images. But I had to chuckle when I thought, it must be challenging to make your subject stand out when he's camouflaged into the background! :happy-084:

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Flash and shallow DoF right?

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I love the lighting and the busy sharpness.
    Did you use two off-camera triggered flashes or some other lighting?

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Nice series. There are a couple of shots where I find the subject's eyes in shadow a little distracting, but otherwise it is a nice series and I'm sure you friend is happy (which is all that counts).

It's good to see some trigger discipline so I won't nit pick about the flag patch. :)

Please do talk about the lighting setup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    He-he, I wasn't going to mention it, but a right-shoulder advancing flag (i.e., reversed to indicate charging forward, not retreating) on any other part of the body is just backwards. However, I used to play airsoft, so I can still appreciate the time/effort he's put into his gear.

Great shots. As others have said, it's tough to make a subject a stand out from the background when it was designed specifically not to. Plus, that blending in aspect is part of what you want to highlight. You've done a good job of walking that fine line.

9. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Yea my logo does not work for this series, usually I shoot family portraits.:smile:

I used my RadioPopper triggers along with my Nikon flashes.The images look oversharpen when I uploaded it to the forum. I think mu-43.com added its own sharpening to it.

Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with the flag patch? We where in a rush so he couldn't find his helmet so I told him to just wear his hat.

As far as lighting setup goes I brought 3 lights with me, 2 SB800 and a Cheetah CL-360. One of the battery to the RP trigger died so I only use 2 flash. Most of the light is the standard 2 point cross lighting meaning the light in front of the subject is on one side, the the back light is on the other firing at each other.

As far as making the subject standout when he is supposed to be camouflaged, I didn't even think about it until I was editing the images last night. It would of been more effective if I made him camouflaged. Most of the commercial work that I do, makes I have to make the subject stand out so I just defaulted to what I do. I will be working more with him and the next set I will definitely hide him. So lets say this was a test run shoot.:tongue:

Thanks everyone for the comments.

• Like Like x 1
  10. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    The flag patch is reversed. Dunno what that means though.

11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Right. Short version is reverse flag patches are supposed to be worn on the right shoulder to put the field of stars in the "correct" location. On a hat like that it just looks like a backwards flag :tongue:

This goes into pretty good detail:

http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq/f-why-is-the-flag-patch-reversed.html

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice, I like the use of lighting and thanks for detailing a little more about the light setup as well :smile: I like the processing, feels detailed and crisp and fits with the style of a lot of 'tactical' photos I've seen lately too.

I agree with the earlier comment about the shadow on the eyes. Obviously your third flash being out of commission probably made things tougher to work with, but if you can use another flash next time to lift the shadows on the face it'll make him stand out a little better too. FWIW, I like the way you made him stand out a little with the backlight. Any more camouflaged and you'd have people thinking these were landscapes instead of portraits :biggrin:

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have to ask. Were you using high ISO? The images look "noisy" to me. Or, is it the m4/3 "character" showing?

14. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I was shooting at low iso at 160. The noise from this is from the oversharpening that came when I uploaded the images to this forum. It does not look like this. I will try to upload it again or post it from my own website when I get home tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Actually I like the crispiness in some of the photos ... it goes well with his clothes and the illuminated leaves when most of the scene is in focus.

16. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I agree. At least at this viewing size on my monitor I think it looks fine, and it fits the gritty tactical photo style I was mentioning earlier.